Muzzleloader regs. for Idaho question?

W

wanagi

The more I read about ML hunting, the more I'd like to try it. Besides, its getting harder and harder to find quality hunting without dealing with other hunters all over the place AND almost every animal I've ever shot has been under 100 meters anyway!!!
My question for starters is: What are the regulations in Idaho for ML's? From what I've read in the regs, you can only use a round ball, it must be over .45 caliber, and something about the breach which I assume most ML have. Idaho regs. are never easy to understand so that's why I'm asking.
Any imput is appreciated.

Wanagi,
Idaho allows more than you think.
Check out page 12 in the Big game regs.
The only thing I didn't see in there is any mention on sabots. They are legal, as long as the projectile is .428 caliber or larger.
The big issues to me regarding Idaho are, no scopes, no 209 primers, and no rolling block type muzzleloaders (ie. T.C. Omega) allowed.
Anybody, please correct me if I am wrong. Thats how I see it.

Henry,
My confusion is in terminology and the distinctions between types of ML's. Such as the regs. mentioning of "exposed hammer that pivots". I understand the caliber part such as only .50 for larger game etc. and patched round balls only.
I'm trying to understand the regs before I go out and start looking at various types of rifles. With all the hype about the omega, and you say Idaho doesn't allow them?
I need to get the horse before the cart.
Thanks for the imput.

Idaho has two different types of muzzleloader hunts. The part about round ball only, and hammer that pivots, are rules that fall under "Traditional Muzzleloader season" there is also a less restrictive "Muzzleloader-Only Season".

well if your looking for a quality hunt dont apply for the south east idaho unlimited muzzleloader . unless you want to see alot of other hunters , i dont know how many people were there . but i can tell you this . there were people on every hill. which made it really hard to sneak up close for a shot , so people were shooting long distances at running bucks . i found 6 different blood trails and a dead doe . people were just shooting way to far , i heard one guy bragging about shooting over 300 yards , this is a damn joke !!!! i could see shooting out to 175 -200yds max if everything was perfect for the shot . but that would be it for open sights , i personally like to get a shot under 100yds.my hunt i just got back from in idaho just reminded me the time i went and hunted near craig colorado, WAY TOO MANY HUNTERS !! as far as the general muzzleloader season you have to have an open breech , and you have to use the musket caps or #11 caps 209 primers are illegal.and you can use sabbots or what ever projectile you desire except it has to be a certain cal. i think it was .428 but im not sure , i used the .44 cal 240 gr hornady .if you want to go on a good hunt i would suggest to you of applying for only limited quota areas and most of the states offer these . it is the only way you will have a good hunt with out alot of other hunters, and then it might take 5-10 years of applying to get that tag but it is well worth it .hope this helps you out, tom

Thanks for pointing out another distinction Henry. I'll be doing more homework.
And thanks Tom for the limited entry feedback. Ha! it took me twenty years to finally draw a late buck tag this year and I didn't see one hunter --- but then I didn't see that big boy either.

I agree with Henry. I'm going to start ML hunting this year and have been studying the regs.

No 209 primers in any ML season.

In traditional seasons, add restrictions of loose powder only, no in-lines, no sabots or conical bullets, and no motorized vehicle use.

ps - I've always thought Idaho regs were the easiest of any I've ever read. Probably depends on what you get used to.

Paul

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom