Muzzleloader sight in help

parecido

Hey guys I've got a strange problem and I hope someone can help. My setup is a TC pro hunter fx with a Nikon inline xr scope. I'm shooting 105 gr of blackhorn 209 with a 290 Barnes TEZ bullet. I've got it sighted in dead ass at 100 yds with groupings of about an 1" to 1 1/2" . My problem is when I move to 200yds I'm not even on the paper. Any ideas on what's going on? Could it be the scope and it's focal plane? It's a 3-9 magnification and I've got it on 9 power. Could it be the gun? Maybe the bullet is tumbling or something ? My hunt is coming up here soon, the beginning of October. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

HOw big is your paper target? You should be somewhere around 1900 fps give or take 10 fps. So if you are dead on at 100 yards, you should be a foot (12") low at 200 yards.

Your scopes focal plane and magnification setting has nothing to do with it. If you are getting repeatable 1-1.5 MOA groups at 100 yards I can't see where the scope is at fault.

If you want a 200 yard gun zero your gun at 150 or 175 yards. I shoot 120 grains by volume of BH 209....250 grain hornady sst in a TC encore. I am roughly zeroed at 175 which puts me about 3 inches high at 100 and 2 inches low at 200....hold on hair out to 200 yards. Your bullet has a higher ballistic coefficient than the one I use...even though you shoot a higher grained bullet the ballistics are going to be pretty similiar to mine within an inch or so. Also if your groupings dont open up too much (which they shouldnt....but each gun is different so some experimenting will be needed) bump your grains up to 110 or 120. A little extra velocity can always help.

The target i was using at 200yds was the shoot-n-c 12" target. I think maybe i'm dropping lower than i expected?

If you are holding 1 inch groups at 100 yards then I would bet you are just dropping off the target. Again sight in 3 inches high at 100 yards.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom