Muzzy 10 or 17?

HUNTNNW

I am applying for a muzzy tag this year in one of the units and cant decide on which one. I have some info on 17 from a former guide and saw plenty of pics from him. I read alot of info on the 17 just isnt that good from what I hear. 10 gives out alot more tags and I hear of quite a few good bucks there. I still am possibly wanting do archery. What were any of your guys experiences in the units during muzzy. Thanks for any advice Shane

LAST EDITED ON Feb-29-12 AT 09:08AM (MST)[p]muzzy season can be tough in 10, archery boys run some away and the changing horns and weather seem to effect things a little. Neither area is known for really big antlers.

I would try area 16 for archery and muzzleloader. I bow hunt 16 and if you put in the time, you can find some giants. If you hunt archery and muzzleloader you beat the rifle crowd and the deer aren't as pressured. I would check into archery instead of muzzleloader but that is just me.

Thanks... I had some info on 5 too from a local, but not sure I wanna hunt that type of terrain. I love high country and the scenery is big part of my hunt. I may archery hunt..trying to get dates of hunts figured out

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-12 AT 07:52PM (MST)[p]I strongly disagree with area 10 not holding very big bucks. I hunt archery on top and have no problem locating very good bucks. Muzzleloader I have never done up there but I would imagine the archery hunters push them around a bit but that goes for any area. Area 10 isnt my favorite area but I enjoy the difficult hunt it offers and always see lots of deer. Area 10 I believe holds the majority of Nevadas deer herd but it is obviously a very large area

Im not sure if you hunted area 10 before but if the scenery is a big part of your hunt and you like high country than sounds like youre a ruby mountain hunter

All areas of Nevada hold big deer, just have to find them. Both in 10 and 17 the majority of the deer will be up on the top during the summer months, even during the muzzle loader season, and in area 10, the bucks are often up with or above the mountain goats.

Take a gander through the 2010 edition of the Nevada Record Book and you will notice more entries for the Rubys and East Humbolt Range than the Toiyobe Range....

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom