Muzzy Antelope hunt

1hotmama

Hi, im stinkys wife and since he doesnt keep ya'll up to speed, i will. I am very excited. He is taking our 9 year old son on his 1st hunt ever (aside from dove and rabbits). Clay called this morning and said they have a really nice one spotted (86-90)tony is guessing. The only bad thing is that the other hunter on this property ( an outfitter i heard) also has him spotted. Clay is pretty confident he is going to get 1st shot though. I hate it when it ends up being a race to the same animal, but if ya'll no stinky im sure he will win. Now the pressure is on the little guy, but im sure he will do ok. I will keep you posted as they tell me and get some pictures up asap.

-- one proud mom --

1hotmama , thanks for the update, got the blood pumpin some , hope stinky gets on this buck....

ok. Clay just called. He got one, not the original one they were after. i guess they couldnt find that one. He got him with one shot. Not real sure on the details, but thats expected when you get the story from a REALLY excited 9 yr old.
Im hoping stinky will call in a bit and let me know the whole story. When he does, i'll post it.

Ok, Stinky called this morning. Clay (our son) was hunting with jerry, and his grampa (tony sr, stinky's dad). They spotted this antelope and 3 others in a meadow. They got a good stalk on them and had them within 175 yards or so. Tony said that they couldnt get a range on him, cuz the grown men were so excited they couldnt hold their range finders still. When they had him at 125 yards he stopped and looked at them. Clay said he just put the + right on his shoulder and pulled the trigger. At the same time another hunter shot on the other side of the hill and Clay saw 3 antelope run away. He got really upset and started yelling "oh, i missed, did i get him, i saw 3 run away, where is he"! Now if you know clay it was all he could do to keep his breakfast down to this point. Grampa started yelling "hes down". Jerry said " the 3rd antelope you saw just came over that hill when you shot and joined the 2 left standing, your antelope is down clay". So of coarse they go out and look at the antelope. This is where my husband and i cant quit laughing. He shot that antelope right between the eyes!!! Its funny cuz both my husband and i shot right between the horns on our 1st deer. I guess he wasnt looking at the antelope shoulder, but his horns and just happened to be very blessed as he pulled the trigger. That taxi. is going to have one heck of a job, cuz the bullet left the back of his skull and buzzed the hide off his back all the way to his butt! So Stinky wasnt with clay when he shot it, but he said when he pulled up to jerrys gate, clay was standing there with a BIG OLE GRIN. Tony said " i didnt even have to ask if he got one, i just said where is he". Tony said that it was the big one they had spotted the day before. He has 15 inch horns and 7 inch cutters. The cutters are high up, so he thinks there will be 3 mass measurements, which will put him around 78-80 and could be more. We are both very proud of clay, and now he is gonna go for an elk tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes and hopefully post pics tonight.

1hm,

Terra, the monster Caldera bull killer!;-) I never forget stuff like that, creepy huh?

Congrats to Clay! 78-80 is certainly a monster! Would like to see him, and the elk of course!

Good to see stinky is being kept in line by stinkysr. I worry about him. :)

Congrats on the antelope.

Just got back from Valle Caldera. The pic of you and your bull was shown during the orientation.

You guys are tearing em up.

Cool, nice to know im still famous!! No ktc, not creepy considering you and my husband talk like, everyday! lol Im still waiting on the pics from tony. Guess service is spotty up there. Soon as we get them i will post them. Tony and clay are staying a few more days. Clay has an elk tag and tonys trying to get him in on a real nice 5x5 hes been seeing. Stinky says hes real heavy, just no #6, guessing cuz its been a dry year. Says hes not seeing very many 6x's. did see one that would score well if he werent all busted up. That is all i know. I will let you know if i hear anything else.

Congrats to Clay!!! That is awesome....I wish him luck on his elk hunt....I am sure he will do well...

Dan

we had the 5x5 at 100 yards this morning. If I were the shooter the elk would have been killed along with 40 or so other bulls. It just makes it a heck of a lot harder when your trying to get your nine year old son on a bull when he only has about a 10 second shot window. I never thought about teaching my son to make quick shots before the hunt. Guess that will come with age. After the 5x5 bedded down I went to the top of the hill to bed a 6x6 that was working around behind us. Plan was for jerry to bring clay to me once the 5x5 was surely bedded. Well I spotted the 6x6 which was 330 pushing 340. I had him dead to rights at 90 yards, but again the shots would have been 10 second shot windows as he worked through the brush. Clay never showed up so I assumed they were on the 5x5. I really wanted to see that monster 5x5 hit the ground so I went back down to find them gone. found out some wolves got after the 5x5 and sent him packin. I left the 6x6 bedded at the top of the hill. Clay was really spent on elk hunting. He woke up at 4am every morning and had to deal with bad nerves that made him puke all morning every morning even as we were stalking the bugling bulls. Oh, don't let me forget the frequent trips in the bush with toilet paper when we were all too close to the elk only to be followed by more puking. Oh, and then there was this little D-9 caterpillar that kept following me as I was sneaking into the herds of elk. He was hilarious, I just kept laughing. Kinda sad but me and little wife are use to it. He had his fair share of misses, mainly at the few 6x6's I found but never managed to get a shot off at the 5x5. With all this taken into consideration I decided to bring him back home today after his morning hunt. I'm tired and will post pics of his goat in the morning. BTW that 5x5 jerry estimated at 380 and I estimated him at 350 to 360. He was massive. One more thing... Any of you guys familiar with Kenney on south park? every time he talks to a girl he pukes on them. That's gonna be my son. sounds bad but I will laugh everytime I remember this hunt and think about kenney on south park.

Hey Stomp- What unit was Clay hunting the elk in? Tell the little man to keep his chin up, he got a nice goat and he gave it one heck of a try....

Dan

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom