Muzzy bullets - Colorado Legal ?

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
Looking to do an eastern plains Colorado deer hunt in the future. I’ve gotta bunch of muzzleloaders but this is the only one with Colorado legal sights. I’ve always used it for close range hunting with Barnes 250 gr. bullets ……. but those aren’t legal in Colorado. Any suggestions on what to try ??? I’m sure there’s plenty of these old omegas around so I’m sure somebody’s gotta know what they like. Thanks !
IMG_4285.jpeg

QLA counterbore coaxiality has been an issue on some Omegas. Try it and see. If it doesn't shoot solids well, there are options like cutting the barrel far enough back and crowning. That might mean moving the sight back. Not sure it would be worth paying to get that done vs buying something else.

Wow - that’s an interesting Omega stock!! Lol

+1 on the Thors (which are of course a Barnes monometal bullet).

As for the QLA issue, yes, some of the TC QLA barrels won’t shoot conicals. You won’t know until you try some. Solution is to cut off the QLA (I did that on one of my Omegas) or try an MMP sub base under the conical. Guys have proven that works in some off-center QLAs. I’d try that before cutting off the QLA.

Looking to do an eastern plains Colorado deer hunt in the future. I’ve gotta bunch of muzzleloaders but this is the only one with Colorado legal sights. I’ve always used it for close range hunting with Barnes 250 gr. bullets ……. but those aren’t legal in Colorado. Any suggestions on what to try ??? I’m sure there’s plenty of these old omegas around so I’m sure somebody’s gotta know what they like. Thanks ! View attachment 128680
I used to use the Thors for Elk in Utah. Basically a conical Barnes. https://thorbullets.com/

No Excuses work great for me, 465 grain, out of a QLA Omega, around 75-80 grains 777 3F. Not a long range load (most conicals aren’t!)… but by the way it handled an elk, you could hunt Cape Buffalo with it probably.

Love the Thor 300gr with 777 behind it. I tried BH209 and didn't have the success others rave about. Several hang/ misfires and super expensive to boot, could have been operator error using the wrong primers but no such problems with 777 .

Thor bullets shoot great out of my CVA. But haven't had the good fortune of seeing how they work on game yet.

I have used Furry universal fit, 460 grn no excuse and Thor. The furry are really good and what we have used for Colorado elk recently. The no excuse have also been a proven killer for us. The fury give a better BC and are more forgiving out to 175-200. As far as I can shoot with open sights.

Love the Thor 300gr with 777 behind it. I tried BH209 and didn't have the success others rave about. Several hang/ misfires and super expensive to boot, could have been operator error using the wrong primers but no such problems with 777 .
In some rifles you also need to change breech plugs to shoot 209. My Accura is one of those.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom