Muzzy Powder

HuntinFoo

I put this on the Muzzy forum but didnt get many responses so I thought I would try it here. What kind of powder do yall use? I have been using 777 and like it, it isnt amazing but has always done the job. But have been hearing some good stuff about Jim Shocky's Gold. Anyone use it, is it as good as they say? Should I switch or not?

I like 777 enough that I dont care to try anything else..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

What rife are you shooting? that can make a big difference?

For instance, not all will even shoot BH 209, and some rifles have a big "crud ring" with 777.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have an Omega, the 777 has worked but it is dirty and I have to clean after every other shoot if I want it to group.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-09 AT 05:41AM (MST)[p]Are you using the reduced power 209 primers? Might decrease your crud ring. Also, I personally swab between each shot with 777 for best accuracy, but if you can get good accuracy with only swabbing every other shot, that is OK for hunting, since 1 to 2 shots is all you are liable to get.

That said, I have shot up to 30 times in one session with my Omega and BH 209 without swabbing a single time. I love everthing about it except the price.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I use the 209 Buckhorn in my TC Encore Muzzy, it is amazing how easy it is to load round after round without clean between shots. Cabela's has it on sale for $29.95 right now.

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed taters and gravy.

I tried 777 one season. I used it to sight in a day before the season, and then swabbed the barrel but did not remove the breech plug. I hunted the next week and shot a couple times.

I then went to clean the gun for the season and could not get the breech plug out. I broke 2 wrenches trying. I ended up taking it to a gunsmith who got it out with his impact wrench. He said he has seen several cases of stuck plugs using the 777.

I ended up switching back to pyrodex, and have not had any problems since.

BH 209 for my TC Pro Hunter.

I have a bottle of Jim Shockey gold. If anyone is in the SL valley I'll give it to you. Brand new minus 300 grains or so.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom