Muzzy problems... wont group

snakeoil

OK so I have a CVA Accura that the past two years I have been VERY happy with shooting with Pyrodex 100 gr and 295 gr Powerbelts. Took it out to sight in earlier this week and first shot was a couple inches to the right, so I adjusted my scope and shot again. This time I was 8 inches to the left and 6 inches high. I shot one more shot and I was a foot away form that shot. I figured it was the scope, so I removed it and cleaned my muzzy. I took an open sight shot and was way off, so I shot again and the second and third shots were no where close to each other. I figured maybe my powder had gone bad, so yesterday I switched to Blackhorn 209 and put the scope back on. first shoot was pretty darn good, about 2 inches to the left. So I took another two shots and again I was all over. I took the scope off and shot again, (didn't clean with the cleaner powder) and shot right were I wanted to be! I figured I was good, but would take one more shot just to be sure. Same height, but 8 inches to the right???? HELP!!! Any ideas? Is my barrel screwed??? I was using a lead sled and honestly have never had this type of problem.

I initially had that problem when I first shot my .50 cal Remington Genesis. I started swabbing the barrel with a spit patch between shots to clear some powder residue. I initially used a lead sled and felt it caused the gun to shoot with similar results as yours....erratic and non grouping. I got away from using the lead sled and started resting the rifle forearm grip near the front sling attachment point on sandbags. Also, don't ram the powerbelt bullet too firmly down as it may damage the plastic gas check skirt. Hope this helps....it did for me. I'm now shooting sub moa groupings using 150gr pyrodex with .300gr platinum powerbelts. I've posted pics of a recent grouping on MM...check them out.

Had similar trouble this year with my omega. Turned out there was a legitimate scope problem, but rifle did not group as well with new scope either. Checked both of the action screws and found that they were no longer snug by about two turns, tightened everything up and I'm back in business. Might check to make sure everything is tight and happy with the stock.

I would take it out of the lead sled and see how it shoots just on sandbags. The sled broke a wooden stock on my T/C renegade and it seemed to jump sideways on the shot which I wondered if that could be throwing off something.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Tried it without the lead sled, and still all over! I will check again tonight to see if everything else is tight! Could my primers be bad?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom