muzzy question

muleylover

Hello, I just purchased a Thompson Encore and I am looking for some advice on what kind of load to shoot out of it. It is for an elk hunt in New Mexico. I bought some 270 gr. powerbelts and some triple 7 pellets in 50 grains. Is this a good load for elk? I know I will have to fiddle with things a little, but figured thats where I would start. I have had people tell me everything from 225 gr. bullets to 320 gr. I am looking for a load that is accurate to around 200 yards. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-07 AT 10:25AM (MST)[p]You asked for advice, so I will give you my opinion. I would not consider using a 270 grain powerbelt on an elk. They will just not hold up under adverse conditions (bad angles, hitting bone). Personally, with conicals, I consider the 338 powerbelt (platinum) to be the smallest I would use on an elk. You should have good trajectory out to 200 yards with this bullet.

However, if I were hunting with an Encore in a state that allowed sabots, I would surely use one. The bullets are constructed so much tougher than any conical (powerbelts, etc). With a well constructed sabot, I would feel comfortable using a 250 to 300 grain bullet, because they are designed to hold together better.

Also, your Encore may not shoot conicals well. Powerbelts probably have the best chance of any. Most people feel the reason Encores, Omegas don't shoot conicals well is due to the QLA at the end of the barrel. With any other conical besides the powerbelt, my Omega shoots a 3 to 5 inch group AT 25 YARDS! With 110 grains of PYRODEX and the 338, I usually get a 4-5 inch group at 100 yards with open sights, the only way I shoot since I only hunt Colorado.

So, in your place, I would first try some sabots, but would consider trying the 338 platinum powerbelt. I would try 90-110 grains of 777 and 90-120 grains of pyrodex.

As far as the powerbelts you already bought, I would use them for your namesake, should do well.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom