Muzzy Range

B

Bill_in_SD

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 12:01PM (MST)[p]For a mature bull elk, 800 plus pounds, shooting standing up with a bipod to steady myself, how far is my leathal range? About 100? What is the min KE? What types of bullets? Thanks Bill

Your leathal range is going to be decided by you. For elk I would recommend a heavy bullet like the hornaday FBP or the no excuse.Whatever bullet you decide just keep it above 300 grains.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 12:44PM (MST)[p]Thanks. What I meant to ask is the kinetic energy needed. Also, I called Powerbelt and their 348 grain bullet has a lot more ke at 100yds than their 444 grain bullet. Why would you use their 444 grain bullet, instead of their 348? Unless the 444 penetrated and performed a lot better, which it sounds like it does.

Thanks Bill

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 12:46PM (MST)[p]Thanks. I read an article that stated you needed a min 1200 ft-pounds to consistently kill bull elk? Yep, definitely over 300 gns Thanks Bill

LOL modern day quotes telling us what we need is nothing more than a load of BS.

I killed an elk with a 80gr Pyrodex,.54 round ball 230gr @ 140 yards with a double lung shot. A load like that is LUCKY if it even has 500 ftlbs @ 100 yards.

You need to take a look at your bullet, thats the most important. How does it perform?

A 348gr Powerbelt has a limit of 80gr pyrodex or equal, Maximum for shots 50 yards and longer. So there you're going to limit its FPS - FT LBS engery but that bullet will retain its mass and keep on pushing through bone and heavy meat. Any more powder and they tend to blow apart, Limiting penetration into the vitals.

I use a Thor conical which is made from copper, no lead or anything and so i prefer to use the 250gr Thor with 100gr Blackhorn209. A killer load out to 200 yards in my comfort range if things are right.

http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powerguild.net/

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 06:21PM (MST)[p]Ft lbs is just a mathmatical formula that is most useful when comparing small, fast moving bullets. It squares the velocity, so faster bullets come out looking better. Useful for 270 and 30-06 type guns, but not too useful for big slow bullets in muzzleloading.

With a well constructed bullet of 300+ grains and in the neighboorhood of 100 gr blackpowder equivalent powder load, you are good energy wise out to 200 yards. BIG SLOW BULLETS KILL.

So what most people on here are trying to tell you is that accuracy is the main limiting factor with open sights. With lots of practice and a solid shooting rest of sticks, I set my absolute maximum at 150 yards but conditions would have to be ideal and that means very little wind, rock solid rest, etc. I have never shot at an elk over 120 yards.

Also, after about 130-150 yards, trajectory starts to be a big factor as well. With my elk hunting load of 90-95 gr of BH 209 and a 350 FPB, I can site it in to hold dead on out to 130 yards.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

If you want to use a math formula to compare muzzleloader loads, research the TAYLOR knock down formula. That will give you a good idea on lethal loads and ranges. IMO Ft. lbs is useless for muzzleloaders.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I shot my gun enough before the season that I felt very comfortable out to 200 yards. I wish we could hunt with more than a 1X scope here in Utah. As for the 250 grain bullet, I would hesitate a second to shoot an elk at 200 yards with this bullet.

I've been shooting the 250 gr Barnes TSX with 90 gr 777 powder for years with much success on mule deer and antelope (even killed a antelope at 300 yards, dropped dead in tracks). I like the all copper barnes, what do you think about 275 gr barnes tsx on elk, going to Utah, so open sites should limit me to within 150 anyways, but being all copper do you think 275 gr is enough for big elk? I'm thinking yes, but with a slight hesitation.

LAST EDITED ON May-26-11 AT 04:03PM (MST)[p]VTelkchaser just to clearify as my interpretation would read the sentance as "I wouldn't hesitate a second......" or would you hesitate shooting that bullet out to 200 yards. I am just curious as I shoot the same bullet except the t-ez here in Utah as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom