muzzy sight-in process?

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON May-27-11 AT 05:15PM (MST)[p]Hunting in a new State with new options adds a bit more to the process. Here's a proposed plan that I'm thinking about so if you could let me know what you guys think?
1. First mount a higher power scope to experiment with other bullets and powder loads and see what gives me the best accuracy out to 150 or so. I'd likely use one of my 4x12 Nikon Monarchs but I don't know the difference between what's advertised as a muzzy scope vs a high pwr rifle scope. Any issues there?
2. Once I know an accurate bullet/powder combo, then remove the scope and try shooting my current open sights to see how much impact it has on my effective distance since eyes will be a limiting factor.
3. Then, if I decide I'm not concerned about buying a new scope, try a 1x and see if that's better than the open sights. I can always sell the 1x afterward if I feel I won't need it and end up not loosing much $.

Shooting your set up with a 4x scope could work good to determine bullet accuracy. I think the biggest thing you will notice with 1x scope over open sights, is the 1x scope will not cover as much of the target. Even if you use the six-o-clock aiming method your sight picture will be much more defined with the 1x scope.

I use a standard rifle 3x9 scope on my Encore, it works just fine. I shoot it on 3x if I'm shooting under 100 yds and crank it up to 9x if I'm shooting longer. I don't have much experience shooting longer shots with open sights so not much to offer on that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom