My '12 Buck

foulshot

Got him this last weekend.

_MG_0140-L.jpg

Great buck, congrats!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

>That's a tall rack. How
>about a story to go
>along with the pic?

Well, this is a post I've been wanting to make for 3 years now.

I got permission to hunt property 3 years ago and started putting out trail cams to see what bucks were around after seeing some smaller bucks hanging out.

I saw this buck, but never on a cam shot the 1st year. That year was my first bow hunting season for deer.

Last year I thought I got them dialed in and went after him with a bow again. Got him on the cam pretty good.
PICT0028-L.jpg

I was getting closer, but could never close the gap to where I felt comfortable.

This year, I couldn't pull an archery tag, but got a rifle tag 2nd choice. I was out last weekend, but by the time I found him it was to late in the day. Couldn't find him Sunday and I wasn't able to get back out during the week.

Wen't back out Saturday and after hiking around I finally found the small bachelor herd about 2pm. I had to follow them for about an hour or so before I could get in the right position to make a clean & clear shot. Waiting for the other deer to clear a path was a lesson in patience.

From 120ish yards I put a good shot on the brisket, and after reading some of the threads recently, I put a 2nd shot in for good measure. He took a 15 yard walk and dropped.

My best deer in my relatively short hunting career!

I'm pretty stoked for this one.

_MG_0140-L.jpg

_MG_0146-L.jpg

I'm by no mean a professional measurer, but his mains are 28" & 27.5" with a 25" spread at the widest point.

I've already got the spot on the wall picked out for him.

28" Main Beams? WOW. The Burris buck has main beams that are 28 6/8 & 30 7/8. Your buck has to have world class main beams putting him near the top of any bucks in the book! Congratulations!

>28" Main Beams? WOW. The Burris
>buck has main beams that
>are 28 6/8 & 30
>7/8. Your buck has to
>have world class main beams
>putting him near the top
>of any bucks in the
>book! Congratulations!

Maybe I'm measuring wrong, I'm by no means an expert when it comes to that, but I measured from where the horn meets hair to the tip. It's one of the tallest bucks I've seen, just not very wide.

"Maybe I'm measuring wrong, I'm by no means an expert when it comes to that, but I measured from where the horn meets hair to the tip. It's one of the tallest bucks I've seen, just not very wide."

Oh, I think I see now. I think you might be measuring the main beam up to the tip of the G-2. the actual main beam is the one that curves forward towards his nose, not up. Honestly, either way he is an awesome buck. I really mean it when I say that you should be very proud of him! He is an amazing buck!

Thanks prn, and yes I'm extremely happy with him, especially after chasing him last year.

Maybe once I get him back from the taxi I'll have someone measure him.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom