My 2008 Colorado Turkey

TheKnack

Very Active Member
Headed out on my 1st day I had available to Turkey hunt and found a mountain lion skull within the first couple miles of my hike.
Real neat to find other than the fact it means there are probably many more in the area. Left it where it lay since I believe it is against the law to keep them.
481a235020ca6a3d.jpg

Found this 5 point elk shed as I neared my Turkey hunting area. I had already found 7 muledeer sheds on the way as well.
481a2414255f2dcb.jpg

Kinda started shed hunting more than turkey hunting and found more muledeer sheds. Was on my way to head back to the truck as it was getting late and I had a long way to get back when I heard a gobble across the clearing.
I called with my box call and a nice gobbler appeared strutting out into the clearing. The sight of the sun on his colorful feathers was incredible.
After a few minutes he closed to within 40 yards and I let him have it.
Walking up to him I saw the matching 5 point elk shed I had been looking for laying 25 yards away from the turkey. God smiled on me this day.
481a25df2bcdd5bf.jpg

Here is my loaded pack with sheds and turkey. What a load for a four mile hike back out. Deer or elk hunting yes but turkey and sheds is crazy.LOL
481a26702fa89fda.jpg

Here is my 40 year old tired self half way back to the truck with sheds and turkey on my pack. Tired yes but happy as can be.
Hope you all experience a day in the woods like I did sometime soon.
Best Jerry,
481a26f831f1e00e.jpg

44f4e09309b4a917.jpg

Man a heck of a day in the woods for you. nice looking tom for not trying to hard. I hope I have some of your luck next week on my turkey hunt.

congrats,

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

National guard archery staff shooter

nicely done, congratulations on a great day...it looks like the weather was cooperative, too...can't beat it!

Congrats on a nice gobbler and some other cool finds as well! It sounds like a great day out in the hills.

This time of the year it don't get much better then that. I hope you find out about the skull it would be a neat piece to put on a pedestal mount with a MONSTER BULL or MONSTER MULEY.

Thanks everyone. It was an awesome day I will never forget.

Just wondering since I am no Turkey expert or any expert for that matter.LOL- How old of a bird is this?
Measured it's beard is 7-1/4" and it's spurs are over an inch long and looks like they are well used.
Not sure of it's weight but it felt like I was picking up two large canada geese.
I was thinking it's not a Jake but possibly 2-3 years old. Am I close or stupid for even wondering?
Best,
Jerry
44f4e09309b4a917.jpg

That's a nice bird. Plus canglads on the shep hunting. I was thinking you could have picked up the mtn lion skull. I know you can pickup sheep skulls----don't see what the difference would be.

As far the age of your gobbler. With 1" spurs----I would guess a 3 year old. Merriams as a rule don't get long hooked spurs because they wear them off on all the rocks. Beard length is not a good indicator because they can break off in the heavy snows. CB

Congrats on a great day! What unit? I've been hunting west of Montrose and haven't been able to connect yet. Too much snow and everything is 2 weeks behind schedule. Heard some birds last weekend but they wouldn't come in.

Way to go Jerry......Congratulations! Nice looking gobbler and cool finds. Thanks for posting them up for us.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Don?t know what I would be happier for those horns or the turkey. Good thing you found both. Great day indeed!

Archery is a year round commitment!!

LAST EDITED ON May-02-08 AT 12:31PM (MST)[p]I knew I remembered about it being illegal to possess mountain lion skulls.....Looked it up and it is illegal to possess mountain lion skulls, teeth, parts or hides and the same for bears unless authorized by the DOW or without a valid hunting license.
Good thing I read the regulations and remembered it even though I never expected to stumble across a mountain lion skull.
My pics and memories are good enough.
Thought I would share the info incase any of you stumble across a dead mountain lion or bear.
Best,
Jerry

44f4e09309b4a917.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom