My Archery hunt in the Rubys

208JBB

I just wanted to put out a thanks for all the help that I got on my archery hunt in the Rubys.

I got 5 scouting trips to the area and 4 to the wilderness area. I got some great advice from the guys here in the NV forum, as well as some PMs.

I was able to do most of my scouting trips from my Street bike. So if you saw a red crotch rocket at the trail head and wondered ?what moron rode that thing up there?, it was me. (45 MPG saved a ton of money) All the scouting trips where productive, and I managed to find bucks everywhere. I tried all the suggested access points and found some areas that I didn't think there would be anybody during season and the areas that seemed to be conducive to bow hunting. I found a road that would shorten my hike in by 12 miles, so I assumed that come opening day I would be able to drive to the end of that road and start my hunt, but to my surprise the Forest service road crossed some private land and I ended up having to take the long way in, and WOW that was a really long tough hike. There were 7 other trucks at the trail head and I worried that the bucks I had patterned would be gone, but to my surprise there wasn?t anybody hunting the 7 draws that I had planned on hunting. Unfortunately I got a shot at a nice buck on opening day, and with his matrix like moves the arrow missed his vitals and I was left tracking a wounded buck for the next two day. He stopped bleeding after about 600 yards, and I knew the arrow didn't do enough damage to put him down, but I kept trying to get him. After losing his tracks when he mixed with some other bucks I started glassing up bucks and started sneaking in on them with hopes that my buck was with them. I ended up sneaking in on 8 groups of bucks over the next two days, and didn't take a shot because they weren't the buck I had wounded. This was super frustrating, and exhausting since every sneak seemed like I had to climb all the way to the top of the mountain to get the wind right, then halfway back down. At the end of that hunt I planned on quitting hunting and selling all my archery gear. After a few days at home my senses came back and I got prepared for another attempt at finding ?my buck?.

Then I got down to some research on how to get access to the road I wanted to access. I can't thank the gal at the Elko Assessor?s office enough. She helped my with the property ID, then got me the names of the old owners and from there a little more research got me intact with the Correct tribe, and I then knew how much it would cost me to cross there 100 yards of land. This led me a chat with one of the forest service guys, and he suggested a different access point, and a little known cow trail that might get me where I wanted to go. I can't thank that guy enough. I wish I would have caught his name because his advice cut my hike down to 3 miles. So 2 weeks after the opening I went back to the area that I thought my buck would go to heal up. I spent another day and a half looking for him and not shooting other good bucks (very frustrating). Then by a stroke of luck I found my buck bedded down out in the open. I made a great sneak in on him, but could only get to 82 yards away. I could see that his wound had healed up and was just fine. I made a last ditch effort and crawled straight to him. He jumped up and ran over the top of the ridge. After that I felt comfortable going after other bucks. I then spent the next 3.5 days having a ton of fun trying to get in on bucks. Somehow I messed up stalk after stalk, but was loving it. On the last day of my hunt I had 3 large groups of bucks all bedded in the bottom of one canyon. I had been putting off going down there for 3 days because there were just too many eyes and ears. Over 40 bucks and 15 does. But on the last day I sat down and really sorted through the bucks and found 2 real nice ones that I figured was worth the risk of blowing all the deer out of the area. Somehow I made the sneak of a life time past quit a few smaller bucks and does. There were several times that I just knew it was going to be over, but each time a deer would get up and run off there would be no snort and they would lay back down. I finally got to the rock pile and out of the trees. I could see dark line down the spine spine and right horn of the buck I wanted, but with all the low hanging branches I couldn't? get a shot. I proceeded to climb to the top of the rock and get to the edge. Finally a opening in the trees and a clear lane to shoot through. The buck was lying with his legs out so all I had was a thin target. I didn't like the thought of having to get past the spine, or relying on the spine for a kill, so I waited for him to get up on his elbows. I swear this took an hour. Then I got my chance for a shot. Range finder says 37 yards and its steep, so I split the 20-30 pin and let the arrow go, just to see it hit a low branch that I thought it would go under?.my thought then was are you freaking kidding me, and thinking every swear word I know. Somehow the largest buck in the group didn't run off like the little bucks did. The big buck proceeds to lay down in the exact same spot as the buck before..HOLLY COW a second chance!:eek: This buck put his legs right out like he was ready for some sleep. This left me with the decision of shoot the spine/6? vital window, or risk the branch again?. I decided to take the shot. I stayed on my knees to ensure I missed the branch, split the pins and let the arrow go just to watch it sail over him by 2 inches.(guess I should have adjusted and shot it for less than 20yrds) The arrow hit a large rock and all the deer in the valley took off in a huge dust storm.:-(

I didn't get a buck this year, but I had more fun than should probably be allowed. I managed to hike almost the whole ruby crest trail in sections, as well as meet some great people. I'll add some pics from the experience. I wish I would have taken more pics of all the bucks I snuck in on but didn't take a shot. I kept leaving the camera in my pack. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the guys who have gotten bucks with a bow in the Rubys. I don't know how many times I thought ?if I had a rifle...?. Maybe next year I'll put in for a rifle tag? I cant help but think I would feel like I cheated if I go back to the rifle after 8 years of doing it with a bow.

7876copy_of_p8212633.jpg

6487copy_of_p8202602.jpg

2955copy_of_p8202606.jpg

2140copy_of_p8222634.jpg

5760copy_of_p8202618.jpg

8842p8082505.2.jpg

9368p8212625.jpg

Thanks again for all of the help this year.
JB

jeremiah,

Great pics! was hoping to see an arrowed monster! Looks like you had a great trip sir, sorry to hear about not harvesting. I felt like you were going to nail it on the second trip. Either way, looks like you have another week and a half before your elk trip. Did you get my last email? I will be up there roughly the same time in a couple of the spots we have talked about. We plan to do ALOT of hiking. maybe we will run into eachother, id love to help you bring a quarter out of that bull you have your eye on.

Sounds like you had a blast. All you can do is put the effort in and with a little luck you put down a good buck. Stick with the bow man.... dont give up. Nothing like the satisfaction you get from good buck with your bow. Ill be up in the rubys this weekend for a short trip before my bull hunt. What units you draw for your bull?

Brandon82, I have some great info for you about the place your going this year. I'll give you our radio channel and phone number I'm sure there will be a bull or two packed out while your visiting. I'll email ya some details.

Thanks for the help on this NV hunt.

The Elk hunt is in Idaho.

I flattened the goat bed down a little better so my tent would fit. Other than that its all yours gazelle. I even left all the deer there.

Definitely! Send me an email to my hotmail accout. Cant wait to hear about the great news and possibly put some blood in the pack for you. Talk to you soon jeremiah

Great story. Having hunted the Rubys 3Xs, including archery, archery hunting the Rubys is for sick people IMO.

Gonna do it again some day.

Sweet trip! Wish I could have been there. Nice of you to take pics so we wouldn't have to call BS. Some of those are nice bucks!!! Heading up on Thursday to set up Elk camp 2011. Should have your bull located by Saturday. Get lots of rest and eat a good breakfast cause if I have it my way, you are going to be busy packing meat!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom