My AZ Bull Hunt!!

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
Well, thought I'd report back after the last 15 days in the field chasing bulls in eastern AZ. Overall, it was a challenging, enlightening, and humbling experience. I had some great friends up to help from time to time, and could not have done it without them!! Whether helping track, guiding my stalks, getting stuck on their motorcycles, or trying to get me to have fun instead of being so business-like, their help was invaluable.

The days ran together, but I had a number of opportunities throughout the hunt by calling, spotting/stalking, etc., but in the middle of the hunt, it all came together (in a way) by sitting a water hole for the evening.
My buddies had just left, and I was on my own for a few days. I opted to sit a quiet water hole for the afternoon, with some distant bugles coming through the bowl I was in. After a few hours (yes, nap), I saw a few cows feeding through the basin I was in, with a bull hopefully in tow. Only have a tree to hide behind, I got low, and waited to hear the cows and hopefully bull approach?..outside of the howling wind gusts, nothing for 20+ minutes?.Impatience got the best of me and just before I peaked up to see where they were, SPLASH!!! The bull I was hoping was in tow had just belly flopped into the water hole! Thrashing around in the mud and water, he left his cows behind, to go nuts in this little hole.

As he splashed around, I readied my bow, drew, and plowed him at 45 yards as he came to the bank. I was 100% confident in the hit, and confirmed a full pass through, as he wheeled and bolted off. Due to the landscape, I last saw him running east and up out of the bowl I was in, and could not see/hear anything after that. Finding the pieces of my arrow with good lung blood, I felt it best to give him the night and come back to track in the morning.

At first light, I was in the basin looking to trail the blood to my first bull?.except there was NONE. Outside of my pieces of arrow, there was a small patch of blood at 125 yards from the water hole, and then NOTHING!!! I didn't know what to think, and couldn't believe the shot wasn?t a good one. And so, in my thinking, I figured he tried to find somewhere thick and likely downhill to huddle down in?As was my last sight of him, I headed east and out of the bowl I was in to grid the adjacent canyons to hopefully find him?I searched for the remainder of the day?.then it poured rain?then cased the bowl I was in the next day, regardless of now REALLY no blood to follow?and nothing. I couldn't believe it. I had no idea what happened and continued to look off and on for the next few days.

Good friend Jim, muddy motorcycle and all, came up to help for the last part of the hunt (now almost a week later I think). I told him the story and he didn't believe that bull wasn?t piled up somewhere. We went back to the water hole, replayed the scenario, and started hiking the area. All of a sudden, we came to a rise, and bam, we got hit with that unforgettable smell of rotting meat. I didn't know whether to jump for joy or cuss like a sailor?so I kinda did both?We followed our noses, and there was my bull. He was only a few hundred yards from the shot?upside down?and amongst a couple downed trees. Even at 20 yards (ignoring the smell), I could barely see him.

In our minds, we figured the scenario, which hopefully will help somebody in the future. I had always been taught and experienced that a wounded/dying animal will typically go downhill and into thick stuff to bed/die. Well, not during the rut I guess?From the shot, I last saw the bull heading uphill and east, and out of the bowl we were in. Likely what really happened was he went on this path for a while, and then remembered his cows. He did a 180 and ran to the southwest to back where his cows had run off to?.which was also uphill. At that point, he keeled over, and that was that. I was so concerned with finding blood, going downhill, thick stuff, etc. that I forgot about the one thing that throws every sensibility off?..his attraction to his cows.

Anyway, had a great time with a premium hunt in a beautiful part of AZ. I admittedly, probably took it a bit too serious, but cashing in 14 points, I felt it was warranted. I learned a ton and hope to be chasing bulls again somewhere next year.

56182range.jpg

85247bowsnap.jpg

148760917191755.jpg

314790925190752.jpg

608870925191322.jpg

164380925191323.jpg

272190925191323a.jpg

My buddy Jim, and his muddy Goldwing. Haha, his truck blew up and he rode all the way up just to help the last few days!!! #muddinginthegoldwing

550810925191325.jpg

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Congrats on the find. Amazing how a critter as big as a bull elk can seem to just disappear. I was on a rifle hunt in NV when I spotted a bull on the side of a gradually sloping sagebrush hill. One shot from the 338 and he dropped in his tracks. Threw on the pack and went to cut up my bull and he was nowhere to be found in waste high sagebrush! My buddy thought maybe he got up and ran. No way he could get up and not be seen in sagebrush that was just belly high. We looked for over an hour. My buddy went back to the sight of the shot and directed me to where the bull fell, no luck. I went back to the sight of the shot and directed him, no luck. I went out searching in a tight grid where I knew that bull fell. Finally, I decided to hike up a hill, pull out the spotter and pick that basin apart until I found him. I turned to go uphill to start glassing and there was my bull. He fell into a little washout where the snow melt ran, head down and belly up. We both walked within 15 feet of that bull several times and never saw him. Getting him out of that ditch that was barely wider that his shoulders was a bit of fun. Glad you found your bull, especially your first. Did you ever figure out why there was no blood?

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Had a similar experience to yours a number of years ago with a cow elk. My brother shot her and we both saw her drop. Then couldn't find her after searching for 2+ hours. Went back to the car to meet up with my older brother and dad.

Decided to circle back around to that basin with the truck and found a new group of elk, or the leavings of the earlier herd, at the bottom of the basin. I shot another cow, and she dropped on the 4 wheeler track at the bottom. When we drove wheelers down to get her we looked up and saw four legs poking up from a shallow gully about 75 yards away. So we ended up hauling both elk out. Glad I got mine down cause I'm not sure how we would have ever found my brothers cow.

OP - glad you got your bull. Completely losing a premium hunt animal would be pretty painful!!

Thanks all. Sage, great story. It is amazing how an animal weighing hundreds of pounds can just disappear.

Still don't know why there wasn't any blood. The only thing I can think of was since I shot him as he left the water/wallow. His hide was probably all wet and matted with water/mud, so maybe that kept everything in. But still, since I got lungs, which I know I did, I don't know why he wouldn't have been blowing out blood from his nose,etc..

If it hadn't had rained the next day, I may have a better answer, but still boggles my mind.

Congrats on the hunt! Maybe a high lung hit. The cavity will fill with blood in that case. Also with such a great year for feed he coulda had lots of fat. I've seen that plug big bullet holes and broad head cuts.

))))----------->

Thanks HorseCreek. I was thinking possibly the same, though it wasn't as low as it could've been, I didn't think it was high enough to be negligible.

I was using a fixed blade broadhead, that obviously did the job, but perhaps not up to the level it could have. The broadhead has performed flawlessly over the years on other game, but may be time to consider something else.

Well, darn buddy. Glad you were able to eventually find him.....bummer about the fine table fare you'll miss out on. Looks like a darn nice bull.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Thanks Roy. Yeah, bummer for sure. No vacation left to go back to our farm in MO to fill the freezer, so looks like I'll be a weekend warrior for OTC deer come December.

Congrats on your bull sir. Fine looking animal and sounds like you had a tough hunt, but came through.

Glad u found it. My buddy had the same experience this bow season. Shot looked good could not find it downhill for 2 days. Went back the next weekend and found that the injured bull went uphill and died in the open. Couldn't believe a wounded bull would go up hill but I guess you cannot take for granted what we always thought a bull would do. I shot a nice buck a few years ago and hit him high and that sucker went straight up the canyon up and over the ridge never to be seen again.

Damn nice bull there brother

Congrats Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom