My Boys 1st Deer Hunt

2pointer

I took my 7 year old Tanner on his 1st deer hunt last week. We camped for 4 full days, and had a great time. I had him save $35.00 last fall and let him buy his own b.b gun. He had a blast shooting squirrels and lizards.

On the opening morning we were set up on a pass we had seen some bucks using the couple days before. (He got up at 4:30 with me with out one complaint). We sat silently as several smaller bucks passed by. He had told me that he was there to make sure I do not shoot a small buck... again. After watching several tiny bucks walk past he whispered to me "Dad, I would have let you shoot that last one". He was going crazy and experiencing the rush of being in the field. Not long after that, a "bigger 2 point" appeared. I ranged him, got the o.k. nod from Tanner and let the arrow fly. Tanner could see the entire thing. He saw the buck come in, made the choice to take it, and watched the arrow hit its mark.

As soon as the arrow hit the buck, he let out a yell. We had talked about being silent even after the shot. He was just too excited. I watched the buck trot about 60 yards, lay down and expire.

At first I felt a little defeated that I had just shot another small buck, but as I watched my 7 year old boy enjoy his 1st deer hunt that feeling left quickly.

I may have shot a small buck, but I made some huge memories. I look forward to many more years of hunting with my boys.

Enjoy some of the pictures from my 2012 archery hunt.

8559img_20120818_073937.jpg

1074img_20120818_074011.jpg

4241img_20120819_092333.jpg

5201img_20120819_095958.jpg

9733img_20120819_100728.jpg

2Pointer
www.jglowblinds.com

Awesome story.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

God is great, life is good!
Congrats to your son on "his" first deer. Pretty darn cool man!
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Zeke

Absolutely fantastic post..........looks like a trophy right there and a smile to match from your son!!!! WTG dad!!!

That is what it is all about. Tell Tanner we welcome him to the MM hunting club as he earned it big time.

RELH

Your boy is a great shot with that BB gun. It's the same one I bought my 7 year old, but he has yet to notch a kill with it. Congrats on a great hunt. My 11 year old will be able to put in for a tag next year. I'm excited to get a kill with my boys in tow.

That is wonderful!

Hopefully you are teaching him that if ya kill it --- ya eat it....or atleast try it after it is cooked.

Nothing beats dad and son time.

Robb

looked like a fun hunt shared with a special hunting buddy .No antlers in the world will make a hunt better to me than the ones i share with my kidos !

What a great day for you and your son.
I remember my son with me for his first buck hunt! That was almost 35 years ago! Where does the time go!

AWESOME! That is rather impressive of him hitting those lizards with a BB gun!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

That's GREAT. Took me back to all of my kids (3) on their first hunts. I'm on the down hill slope of life now. But I still go out and hunt as best I can. I Have enjoyed Taking my family hunting for years. To me the memories with family have always been my "trophy" Congrats and thank you for bringing those memories back to me!

Screw the deer, that kill total by the boy is freaking sweet. When I was his age I killed a rabbit with my pellet gun, dad strapped him to the old willys jeep and we "paraded" back to camp(33yrs ago). Dads gone, has been nearly a decade and I am tearing thinking about it. YOU DON' BEAT THIS!! (This is what SFW and the "you want to hunt every year" crowd forget) Nice job Tanner!!

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Thank you to everyone for the comments. Tanner keeps checking "his hunting website" to see if anyone else thinks he did good.

You are all right in that we made some fantastic memories. I am trying hard to make it a big deal for him so he does not just forget it. All of your comments are helping hims stay excited about hunting... Thank you all!

2Pointer
www.jglowblinds.com

Thats the best story I've read on MM in a long time! Congrats Tanner, and do you think you could give me some shooting advice? fatrooster.

Tanner, way to go. My best hunting experiences were with my dad. Give your dad a hug and ask him when you can go hunting again. You are blessed to have a father who wants to share the hunting experience with you. Keep practicing and good luck on your future hunts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom