My boys first harvest

nfh

Long Time Member
Well our first day out and my boys first big game hunt. Pouring rain and made it interesting to get to my spot. Was funny passed on 3 nice bucks on our way in. This unit doesn't produce 80 inch goats so I guessed them right at 70.

But I knew where a freak stayed and he was right in his location. Stalked him to 132 yards. Had my boy set up and he said ready and I had a issue with my phone to record. Pouring rain on a screen wouldnt let me hit the record button. Well the buck had us and ran to 300 some yards. Our goal is 200 or less yards. Then he went skyline on a hill and provided no ethical shot.

So we walked out and got to the truck and drove to a few other spots. Passed some average bucks. Then we decided to go relocate the freak. Well we saw this buck and my boy said I would be happy with that. Was his call. I wanted him to pick.

One shot with the .243 and dropped him quartering away.

I am one happy proud dad. The moment was worth the wait. In the future we can apply for a better unit but hard to draw. All does had fawns. Our winter was mild.

Hopefully my video downloads. I lost sight right at the shot cause I was trying to cover my ear. So keep your eyes to the right.

20230922_164006.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to mention he can't wait to post this to the braggin board at school. It's for harvest, hiking, fishing or any outdoor activities and get a chance to be drawn for hunting gear from Eastmans. Awesome program

Last edited:
Good job dad. And congratulate your son for us. Kids alway look happier than most adults in grip and grin photos.

Now that’s the things I like to see, very cool and congrats to the kiddo, and good shooting , great job getting him out and from our communication looks like the time ya spent getting him out shooting paid off ??

Congrats. Totally awesome. A great start to many memories of a lifetime to be made. Way to get him out and getting tit done. Dad should be wearing a smile for days.

Back out today with my dad. We were looking for a nice goat. Looked several over. Was in a area where I had 2 really nice ones spotted. Couldn't locate them. My dad settled for this guy. Did locate the freak buck out at 400 yards. He passed on him

Plus the snow pushed some elk down. Saw a few 320-330. Didn't think on snapping some pictures cause ran into some archery hunters trying to make a move on them and didn't want to disturb them. But did run into this rag bull.

20230923_084313.jpg

20230923_084315.jpg

20230923_084316.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

20230923_080111.jpg

Well our first day out and my boys first big game hunt. Pouring rain and made it interesting to get to my spot. Was funny passed on 3 nice bucks on our way in. This unit doesn't produce 80 inch goats so I guessed them right at 70.

But I knew where a freak stayed and he was right in his location. Stalked him to 132 yards. Had my boy set up and he said ready and I had a issue with my phone to record. Pouring rain on a screen wouldnt let me hit the record button. Well the buck had us and ran to 300 some yards. Our goal is 200 or less yards. Then he went skyline on a hill and provided no ethical shot.

So we walked out and got to the truck and drove to a few other spots. Passed some average bucks. Then we decided to go relocate the freak. Well we saw this buck and my boy said I would be happy with that. Was his call. I wanted him to pick.

I am one happy proud dad. The moment was worth the wait. In the future we can apply for a better unit but hard to draw. All does had fawns. Our winter was mild.

Hopefully my video downloads. I lost sight right at the shot cause I was trying to cover my ear. So keep your eyes to the right.

View attachment 120489

View attachment 120490
Excellent work to both of you. Takes be back about 17 years. Just waiting on the grandkids to grow a bit now.

View attachment 120489

View attachment 120490
Congrats on a great first and great memories!

Forgot to mention he can't wait to post this to the braggin board at school. It's for harvest, hiking, fishing or any outdoor activities and get a chance to be drawn for hunting gear from Eastmans. Awesome program
We sure as hell don’t have that at my boys school!

I'm glad his school allows/encourages that.

Awesome job. It is always a great feeling when things come together...

Our school does a trophy brag day later in December and allows the kids to all bring in their trophies/pictures. They all write a story for credit in English and present the story. Local businesses donate drawing prizes. It is really pretty cool.

The 243 is awesome little round. My kids have taken several deer, lopes and a handful of elk with the 243. My son will be 14 next year he almost a foot taller than he was at age 12 and we are upgrading his caliber by next fall. But I am certain he will be using the 243 for lopes and probably deer because he shoots it well.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom