My Daughter's J-12

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Had a great time scouting and taking my Daughter on her junior hunt. The warm weather and the snow level high up on the Sierra Mountains made it a tough hunt to find large bucks during the second week. It would of been nice to have made it for the first week of season but due to her school finals we could not make it. The storm and cold spell prior to the first week brought down the larger deer. But once season started and the weather warmed up the deer scattered with a lot going back up high.

Here are a few we seen
IMG0054.jpg

IMG0032.jpg

IMG0019.jpg

She wanted to get the wide 3x3 in the above photo. But as we were going after it we saw a 4x4 she wanted instead (because it had more points). After about a 200 yard crawl through the rocks and moving a couple of times to get a clear shot she dropped this buck at 130 yards.
IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0088_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0089_edited-1.jpg

My friend Kevin (left) came along to help with the hunt & scouting
IMG_0102_edited-1.jpg

Congrats to Karen and nice job there Dad....if your going to be home on Sunday 2nd I will stop by and see you.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Nice job to you and the young lady! Had a similar experience in J12 last year with my daughter. Might have even passed on the same wide 3x3.(No pics though) Congrats to all involved!

Congrats on a nice Buck and Job well done.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Very nice, you go girl! My daughter is only 9 and I have no boy. I can only imagine how your dad and you must feel in this photo. Again, Congrats on a fine buck.

Congrats on a great buck and hunt! Looks like you guys had a great time! Always remember this hunt im sure! Just curious what rifle is that she is using?

Thanks everyone. We had a great time. I hope my son can draw the tag when he is old enough. Paul it is the Round Valley area a little North and West of Bishop. Cahunter, she shot my 7mm Rem. Mag. a little big for her size wise. But at 10.5 lbs without the tripod it is rock steady and kicks less than the .243 she usually shots.

Thanks
Bill

Great pics, and looks like a good one, nice to see a guy spending time with his daughter outdoors.Tell her congrats.
Mike

Your daughter shot a nice buck my son Seth drew the same hunt and harvested a really good 5x3 Really only a main frame 3 point but at 15 years old he is truly blessed. I'm just trying to convince him that this being his second deer ever. They wont always keep getting bigger. Im trying to figure out how to post a couple pics for you. 'Congrats to your daughter!
2362img_0345.jpg

1675dsc02362.jpg

jeezus Marcus....that is that heavy SOB I saw pictures of....post some more pictures please...

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Ya notice how nice a cape he has on him? Big ol eye guards! That's a Pig of a Kali buck right there. Score well or not, true trophy buck!!

Joey

Marcus, your son got an excellent buck. I think these kids got spoiled. After this they are going to find out what hunting in California is all about. :)

Both great CA bucks for sure!

I LOVE that 5x3 that is serious mass and the cape is GORGEOUS! Score means next to nothing to me when determining a trophy buck and that IS A TRUE TROPHY!!

Bill

My son drew the hunt 2 years in a row and the officers verifying told him after his first year Son dont get used to this it aint gonna happen very often in your lifetime. he spreads his fingers and says this is more like it. I laughed and said he is right son!

Hey guys, A buddys son drew J-12 this year. They are heading down to Bishop in a couple of days and I am going to help them out. With the coming weather it looks like it could be great! My friend has spoke with the Biologist and probably has enough info to get us started. I was wondering if anyone else has hunted it and has any pointers.

IF.....hopefully, some snow is in the works this weekend.....take the road thru the Horton Creek campground, go beyond it half a mile in the dark and find a place to set up and see what shows.

Get in there before first light and GLASS!!!!

You will have plenty of time, so don't rush your choice. Very frustrating to take a nice 4x4, only to have his daddy walk within 80 yards while you are doing the photo thing.

There are potentially, MANY monster bucks in the area staging for the rut and one good storm is going to spread them all over that basin.

If you spot a shooter on Friday, odds are good that he will be inside a 200yd circle of that same spot on Saturday........unless something bigger ran him off.

There are MANY does there now and several 3x and 4x....but few shooters.

IF it does not snow, you are going to have to move closer to the base of the mountains and GLASS hard.

Good luck.....and have fun!

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

Nick, I can't imagine that you guys won't get snow with this storm system that is coming in now. We've got 5 straight days of storms headed our way, and they're talking about 15-20" of rain in the Sierras at lower elevations on the west side, so there's gotta be plenty of snow for the east side, even as far south as you are.

Congratulations to the young lady on a fantastic buck! Well done.

I hope they get snow out of itfor the hunt but this storm dosent look like a cold one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom