My first archery buck,

COLO3D

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-04 AT 09:19PM (MST)[p]Last Monday night while hunting with my wife I was able to put an arrow into my first muley buck with a bow. My wife was right behind me with the rangefinder telling me the distance. She also was a big help in tracking and ultimatley found the buck. It only made it about 150 yards.

It is a 4x5 and is 29" wide outside. He is a little weak in the fronts but I could not possibly be any happier. He was a very healthy buck with about an inch an a half of fat on his back straps.

I had a friend in town from Utah visiting his in-laws who was kind enough to help me pack it out over a mile, not fun, but very worth it!!! Did I mention that he does not hunt? He had a blast and I think I created a hunter that night.

http//:img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/pronghorn/HenrywithhisDeerArrowintheRack.jpg

It looks like I don't know how to post a picture after all. Could somebody help a brother out?

I can email a copy of the photo for somebody else to post.

Thanks,
Henry

HenrywithhisDeerArrowintheRack.jpg

congrats and welcome to MM! That is a great 1st archery deer, most folks start out with a forkhorn! Looks like some south/south cental CO stuff. Thanks for sharing.
jeff

Awsome looking buck, looks like he's got better than average mass on those back forks. Did you get him CO.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-04 AT 02:03AM (MST)[p]That is an exceptional buck for an experienced hunter let alone a first archery buck, awesome job and great pic.

Awesome buck. Way to go. That is going to be hard to beat now.LOL But at least you started off where now you will be hooked. LOL Great job on the photo also.

fca2e9e9.jpg

I got him right here on the Front Range of Colorado.

I went out hunting with my wife this morning and boy did we see a big one. We saw them at first light, we watched them through the spotting scope until they bedded down. The wind was right so we got above them and were moving in on the stalk when I came nearly eye to eye with a doe. DOH! We sat down out of sight and did not look up for a few minutes, however the next time I looked up she blew out, taking a fawn with her. That would have been fine, but she sat on the opposite hillside and snorted several times. Then we looked down the hill just in time to see four four point bucks heading for the next county. One of them was an honest 185 plus typical, the forks were deeper than anything I have ever seen and very tall.

Oh well such is the life of a bowhunter.

Thanks for the kind words.
Henry

Awesome Buck, Congrats! I started out good too! Are you hunting any more this year?

Luckybuck1,

My wife still has a deer tag. We had two close calls today. We both have elk tags as well but I am convinced that elk are mythical creatures that hang out with the unicorns during the archery season.
Henry

Good luck to your wife I hope she gets the 185 buck! Have you heard any bugling in the morning or evenings? I live in Fort Collins and am hunting west of there and have heard elk bugling since last wednesday (sept 1st). i am hunting about 7500-8000'. They were bugling saturday and monday morning when I was out too. darn things wont respond very well to calling, they already have cows. Anyway I would suggest hunting some dark timber (or very close to it) where you are hunting deer, I'm sure there are elk in the area.
Jeff

Jeff,
The only bugling I am likley to hear is when I take my wifes family to Estes Park at the end of the month for a weekend at the YMCA!
I have not heard a single bugle yet, but I hope to really soon. Good luck with your hunt.
Henry

You will hear them all over Estes and then some! I need a little luck for saturday, thanks!
Jeff

Is that a house I see in the background, you shot someones pet didn't you Henry. Just kidding you know me I would have shot there pet too. All kidding aside thats a nice buck you got there congrats. Next year if you find two of them tied up you give me a call. Hey I here your a bronco fan now is that true?

Later
Wade

Wade,
NO I am not a Donkey fan.

The house that you see on the left side of my wifes picture is our house as well as most of our nieghbors.

How has your hunt gone? Sounds like Bevan needes to practice a little more.
Henry

Henry
At least Bevan got some shots me and Derron just got back
from the kaibab and were shut out. We did't get a single shot at a buck this year. Things are worse there than ever. I don't think I'll go back unless they make some changes. My first hunt without a shot up there.

I told Derron about your buck on our way hunting, I said we don't have to worry about Henry's buck we'll be doing good to match his wife's buck.

It's never to late to join a winning team.

Wade

Wade,

It sounds like they have some serious problems on the Kiabab. As you can see we don't have the same problems here. We saw several bucks that were much larger than the ones that we shot but you know how bowhunting is, when you get a good oportunity, you take it.

I can't wait for next year!!! We are going out after elk tomorrow. Hopefully we can luck into some. I will keep you posted.

Henry

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-04 AT 10:54PM (MST)[p]Henry! What did you do? I hope Wade wasn't right I can hear the owners now. Here biggie, Here's your suger cube. Where's biggie? On Henry's wall! Nice bucks!! We talked about coming up to Colo. Maybe you can guide us on a hunt? After that we could go and catch a Bronco football game?? Real Deer & Real Football Something us Az. Boys Haven't seen. Derron------>

Derron,

I don't think you could handle it!

6 points in an NFL game and you call that REAL football?

Henry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom