My First Coues

T

TwoPointDN

Thanks to all of you how helped me. This is a great formand everyone seems to be in line. Just having a good time. Anyway I got my first coues and I will putting in for a tag every year from now on. It started out getting info rounded up about the unit and it was all good. I headed out on Christmas at noon and we made it to Phoenix by mid night. Got up at 7:00 am got alittle turned around in Tucson and made it to Three points by noon. We stoped there to top or fuel off. When my dad was in the store I started talking to two really nice guys that had hunted the area before. They gave me some really good info and let me see some awesome pictures. They were form Prescot ones name was Dave and the other ones sliped my mined if they happen to be anywere on this form and read this thanks. We got to the unit and had camp set up by 2:00 pm. Now I will just go day by day 26th night I hiked into a basin and was glassing really love these bino's I was so stuck on the glassing that I falled to see two deer that was feeding 20 yards to the left of me. As I raised my head they was gone. Thinking one might have been a buck and I was in snow I started to track them. After about and hour I caght up with them. They herd me but did not see my. They moved to the far side and started to feed and the buck beded down. It was 250 yards and he was in the 70ish range so I just watch him. It is not to fun of country to come out of in the dark but I made it. I seen 8 deer that night with one buck. The next morning (27th) I went alittle lower and started to glass I spotted one buck he was 80ish and chasing a doe. He was the only deer I seen chasing it seemed to me that it was pre rut activity on the hole hunt. He was to far to shout and I was looking for bigger so I did not try a stock. Working me way back to camp I seen two more bucks in the 70ish range and past the shot. I seen 40 deer with three bucks that day. On the 28th in the morning I seen a lot of does but no bucks. We tryed a different spot that night I was up in some cliffs glassing not seeing anything wondering if I should shot the buck the day before. Would have been happy with any of them. About a hour before dark I spoted a buck, range him and shout. I missed it was 450 yards and I did not judge for the down hill shout so that 10 inches over its back probably staid there. I went to check my shout to make sheer of a clean miss and started kicking my self in the buut. He was in the 90ish range. I seen 11 deer that day with one buck. On the 29th I was glass my morning hunt areajust seeing does again. As I worked me way back to camp I found a buck in the 70ish range and missed again at about 400 yards after checking my shot the day ended slow. My standers our droping as the days go on and really wanted to get a buck. The day end with 39 deer and one buck missed. The 30th my Birthday it was time for a birthday buck. Glassing my morning hunt area I found a big one and I got some buck fever and shotfrom 530 yards++++ giving the ground lead poisoning all at once. Well I can say that I missed my 100+ buck and passing the shots and missing the shot the days before was worth it. He was a big one a that memery will be with me for a long time. I seen 40 deer that day and one big buck and on birthday buck. On the 31st the morning hunt was good I seen three bucks and did a stock on them but it took to long and they were goby the time I got to were I wanted to be. Got back to a broken down camp thanks to my old man how was a great camp cook on my trip. Than we were of to the canyan that I missed the buck on the 28th to see if he was still around. I made it in there by about 2:30 set up and started to glass. I spoted 4 deer right off. No buck. I had 11 does in the canyan keeping my glassing going. The sunhad gone behind the mountains and I had about 45min left of my hunt when I found a buck. I hunt by my self a lot of the time and needed to find a way to find the deer if I hit it. So I range it at 400 yard and after reading my ballistic book at camp two day earlier. I put my 15's on him and move off to the side with my shouting sticks and put it just under his back and poled the trigger. He droped. Got him out dark and got some pictures. It was the smallest buck that I seen on the hunt but I was just as proud of him as my first deer I ever shout. I worked hard for him and thank God for letting me hunt that Bueitiful county and animal.

Good job Twopoint. Way to be persistant. Great story I was right there with you. Another Coues deer addict has been born!:)

Later

Great story Dave! That did take some persistance. It's tough passing on the small ones but when the opportunity comes for the big uns. Whoa!! Look out! It's well worth it. Trophy hunting just adds another dimension to whole hunting experience.

Scott

Great job David. I am right there with you wanting to hunt coues each year. It is very frustrating and rewarding both at the same time. The missed shots, failed opportunities and best of all the memories of the Muy Grande.....Allen Taylor......

Great story,
I just got back from an archery coues/javelina hunt in 34A and couldn't actually take my mind off of the coues, I spent the whole time coues hunting and I didn't even hunt javelina,I saw some really nice bucks and also saw the buck again that I missed on the rifle hunt there in november,Damn he is nice I really want another chance to get him, They seem to be in the rut sowewhat with swelled necks and a little chasing going on but not really hardcore,The first couple of days it was cold and snow up high on the mountains but it got warmer with each day that I was there and the numbers seemed to dwindle or I just couldn't find them anymore, But I had a good time and enjoyed it I hunted with a freind of mine that I grew up with and haven't got to spend alot of time with over the last 10 years or so, We relived old times and it was great, Congratulations on your first coues and I'm still looking for my first, Maybe soon I hope and I enjoyed the story thanks for sharing.

smiley-faces-toast-beers.gif

Tagline

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom