My first double...

peakfreak

Very Active Member
Called in my first double on my first stand of the morning. I wasn't two minutes into the stand when I picked up two dogs charging in. They looked like greyhounds they were running so fast. They were about 600 yds. out so I had some time to make a plan for my double. My gun is a .223/12ga. over-under. So I figured I would shoot the back dog with the .223 and then pop the lead with my shotgun. The lead dog stopped at 80 yds. and I gave him the kiss kiss and he headed for me and then @ 60 he took a hard right and was off. I barked but he didn't care, must have smelled me but he was up wind, so I let him go and turned to the back dog. He was on his way out too so I let the .223 fly and nothing. What a rookie, I got too greedy and was focused on killing two instead of bagging one for sure. Lesson learned, from now on the first dog that presents a shot is done for. Hope you guys can learn from my mistake.

Been there Peak. Absolute caos for 8-9 seconds then you're standing there thinking what the hell just happened here? Good times..................

Been there as well. It always looks easy in your mind then the next thing you know you didnt even pull the trigger and educated two more flea bags. I think this has happened to anyone who has ever called coyotes.

Thanks...heading out this weekend with my boy (12yrs) to call some in, so I thought I'd check "The Site" to get my head in the game and your post helped...Thanks

P.S. About how long do you set up in one stand. I have a moving rabbit decoy and electronic call and a mouth call.

Thanks

HK

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom