My first oryx

cantgetdrawn

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-17 AT 07:07PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-17 AT 03:50?PM (MST)

20597347_10154957289239397_8667299286809197882_n.jpg

I would like to thank those who provided advice (earlyriser and NMPaul come to mind).

I hunted off and on for 9 days in July before running into this cow on the 18th. I've heard you should not pass up anything on the first day that you would take on the last day but I would have passed on her the first day. After 9 days of driving, climbing up on the luggage rack of my SUV and glassing there was no way I was passing her up.

I had seen one oryx about a 1000 yards away and one on range, both on the 3rd of July. Two weeks later I ran into this cow and for all I know it was the one I saw far out there two weeks earlier. The one I saw on range was a similar sized cow with "wavy" horns.

The horns aren't the prize.The meat is.Just made 15lbs of oryx summer sausage today.Came out super as usual.congrats.

Agree about the quality of oryx meat. When I hunted plains game in Namibia in 2007, our PH told me it was just about everyone's favorite meat, and there was no reason to mess with beef if you had oryx/gemsbok you could harvest. Nothing like backstraps fresh off the braai and a couple of cold Windhoek Lagers while sitting around the boma fire.

Best eating critter on 4 legs (Excluding Nilgai, IMHO).... Congrats on filling a tough tag!

I was lucky to get a nice bull years ago before the state decided to decimate them, by hunting all year long.... A shame that is...

Congrats, yes very good meat. I was one to praise it as being number 1 but I just got back from an Axis deer hunt and I now have to put Oryx meat at number 2.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

The meat tastes like beef and is really good. I do however like corn feed venison from unit 36, thanks to all the vacation homes in ruidoso :D

Nice oryx, congrats! I have had the off range hunt twice. The first time it was great with lots of oryx to be found. These off range hunts were relatively new at the time. I drew again a couple years later and did not harvest, I couldn't find oryx off range anywhere. Guess those hunts have done the job the Game and Fish intended for them to do. Still a great opportunity to get and hunt!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom