My first Ram

cantgetdrawn

This was my first Barbary Sheep hunt. I hunted 4 out of 6 days and this is the only Barbary I saw. I was hunting the top of a ridge today when I saw him feeding at 50 yards. His head was hidden so I waited to make sure what it was, he then start running in the opposite direction. I shot and missed, not sure what happened. He then turn around and ran up the ridge towards me.

One horn is broken and measures 18 inches, the other measures 30. I hope the pic posts.

I'd like to thank Aranda who offered up his hunting areas to someone he does not know.

873wp_000528.jpg

9508wp_000538.jpg

7844wp_000537.jpg

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the kind words. I agree the broken horn and scars give the Ram character and I will keep them with the mount.

I am just curious as to how it broke. I think the most likely reason is someone shot it off, but it may have been fighting or something else.

I was wondering what the more experienced Barb hunters think?

RE: Thanks everyone

Great ram. I have personally seen 2 different rams with bullet holes in their horn.

Must be a tough life.

RE: Thanks everyone

I was watching a bunch of them fight yesterday--saw several gang up shoulder to shoulder to the biggest ram and then he head butted a smaller ram and flipped the smaller ram back on his haunches. The other thing I've seen is them making a scraping a bedding area.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom