My how times have changed

Sad deal!! I can see where the kid "could" be reprimanded, maybe, but kicking him out of school? That's California for you!

Joey

The law is written so badly that people living near a school can't legally have a gun in their house! Or if you are just driving near a school with a gun in your car, you are breaking it too....What can you say about the politicians in CA?

>The law is written so badly
>that people living near a
>school can't legally have a
>gun in their house!

Wrong.....Your house is YOUR RESIDENCE which is exempt from the safe school zone law. You may not carry it past your property line...sidewalk...etc. Please study the laws before preaching.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Yea, the good old days!!

As a 12-15 yr old teenager, can't say how many time i'd walk fully armed from my parents East Bay Area house in town to a hunting spot on it's outskirts... Jack Rabbits after school is the American way.

Many's the time i hadmy old shotgun laid on my across shoulder, loaded up hunting vest with every shell i owned, and walk right through downtown and on out that way. I got stopped once and asked where i was headed, i told the officer, "out by the ditch along the freeway for pheasant and quail, "He said, "OK, be careful", and that was "it."

I even used to walk across town with my fishing poles if you can believe that. I could'a put somebody's eye out!! :)

Joey

So Hardway, since in my residence I'm exempt, if I decide to go hunting and load my gun in my truck with the ammo in the bed, can I still drive or am I breaking the law. Do I have to store my gun outside the school zone to transport it to the field. Since we are ignorant of the facts, please fill us in.

> So Hardway, since in
>my residence I'm exempt, if
>I decide to go hunting
>and load my gun in
>my truck with the ammo
>in the bed, can I
>still drive or am I
>breaking the law. Do
>I have to store my
>gun outside the school zone
>to transport it to the
>field. Since we are
>ignorant of the facts, please
>fill us in.

Your shotgun or rifle is considered a "non concealable" firearm....so yes, youd be good to go. The safe school law only applies to concealable firearms (handguns) for a 1000' radius of K-12 schools.
Thats whats funny about this deal, I dont see where the kid broke the law. And how did he violate school policy if he was not on school property???? Sounds like the family needs to get in touch with a good lawyer.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

So here's the exact penal code...

626.9. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the
Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person
knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in
paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written
permission of the school district superintendent, his or her
designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as
specified in subdivision (f).
(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the possession of a firearm
under any of the following circumstances:
(1) Within a place of residence or place of business or on private
property, if the place of residence, place of business, or private
property is not part of the school grounds and the possession of the
firearm is otherwise lawful.
(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked
container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.
This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful
transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in
accordance with state law.

Not trying to be a know it all, I just wish more sportsman and gun owners in general would try to inform themselves instead of spreading false information. False info is what gets people in trouble with the law.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-09 AT 11:43PM (MST)[p]Joey, was your fishing pole loaded? I mean did you actually have a hook tied on? If you did, that is blatant disregard for public safety!:)

Edit: Hardway thanks for the clarification.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

>
>Not trying to be a know
>it all, I just wish
>more sportsman and gun owners
>in general would try to
>inform themselves instead of spreading
>false information. False info is
>what gets people in trouble
>with the law.
>
>I don't want to start a fight on here, but the laws regarding firearms in this state, are simply too convoluted to understand, by the general public.....not to mention stupid.

Tell me how a canvas gun case with a lock on it constitutes a "locked case", but I cannot lock a handgun in the console of my truck......there are many more, and they seem to change daily.

>>I don't want to start a fight on here, but the laws regarding firearms in this state, are simply too convoluted to understand, by the general public.....not to mention stupid.

Very true Nickman. Some laws are misleading and hard to understand, but I do my best to make sure I understand them as well as I can so I dont have to fear the law.

> Tell me how a canvas
>gun case with a lock
>on it constitutes a "locked
>case", but I cannot lock
>a handgun in the console
>of my truck......there are many
>more, and they seem to
>change daily.

I can dig up the Penal Code if you wish, but the deal is.....There is a serious distinction between LONG ARMS and CONCEALABLE FIREARMS in the penal code. It specifically states that handguns must be in a locked container not attached to the vehicle and other than the glove box or center console. But thats only if you wish to put it somewhere where it would be cosidered concealed....you can haul you unloaded handgun right on your dash or passenger seat all day long because its no longer concealed and does'nt require the locked container.......Unless your in or traveling through a SCHOOL ZONE in which case your CONCEALABLE FIREARMS must be locked up regardlesss, but thats where the locked case crap ENDS. Long Arms are considered "Non Concealable" as far as the PC goes so you could hide your 870 up underneath a trench coat and cruise wal mart if you wish so as long as its not loaded. Same thing applies to your vehicle...UNLOADED is the key. There is nothing in the PC that says your shells have to be in the trunk or your shotgung/rifle has to be locked up. But it is viewed by most as a good idea to keep them seperate to avoid being hassled by the Barney Fifes.

a simple investagation was all that was needed and not jump to that conclusion....

I posted this in the "campfire" forum under the "Real or Fake" thread.

"I'd much rather have a real tree but some folks use the fake ones and they do look awful nice too and do have their advantages.

Just FYI, One must be careful not to have or possess a "real" Christmas tree in, on, or near, a school zone. They have been known to; fall on and injure innocent children, be the cause of electrical shocks, be trimmed with several specific colors known to be gang related, burst into flames, and burn down houses! Anyone caught or suspected to possess x-mass trees within 1000 ft of a school will be sought out by tree sniffing dogs, with possession of such a tree, punishable by irrevocable suspension and/or expulsion, or, as in normal examples, banishment from the Community in general, if not, the State of Calif as a whole. This is a no tolerance, no exception policy, backed by your friendly Board of Education in strong support of their always expanding, "safer places for our young future leaders of America," agenda. j/k"

Joey

Hardway is right. You can live next to a school and own any legal weapon you want as long as you aren't a convicted felon...........You can also walk that legal weapon to and from your car on the street as long as its cased properly. The law applies to criminal activity not necessarily just proximity to a school. Yes, California is one of the more liberal states but we still have rights and fall under the same Constitution.

Hardway, I agree with what you have posted so far but remember, law makers are writing the laws, not "Barney Fife". Police enforce the laws but there are two types of enforcement. Letter of the law and spirit of the law. Letter of the law is by the book, spirit of the law give police a huge amount of discretion.

You know, I wish our country never got to this point but let me ask you guys a question. Im sure a lot of you MM members are parents of school age kids. There are lots of lunatics out there that seem pretty normal at first. Sometimes it takes an event to make them snap.

If some kid left his gun in his truck after a morning hunt before school, then went on a rampage and killed your child, would you or I still be complaining about, "How times have changed". Don't get me wrong, I am extremely conservative but I think you have to look at the big picture. Isn't it worth the strict laws to try and keep lives safe?

Since our country and most of the world is seeing increased violence, I would expect laws become more strict. Unfortunately it may affect law abiding citizens.

Breacher, thats the exact line of reasoning that got us into this position. Fact is no matter what law or restrictions you can think of the crazies are still gonna be crazy. I would rather have every teacher and faculty member carrying a pistol. Do you really think a criminal is going to say " oh yeah I was gonna shoot up that school but that safe school zone law stopped me"????

Maybe we should bring back phrobition so we can stop drunk driving, or maybe ban knives so people dont get stabbed.

The only difference is self defense is a right, and right now its been so watered down by your type of thinking that crazies and criminals no longer fear the common man.

We need to get back to the line of thinking that trusting good law abiding citizens to protect themselves is not only ok...but a god given costitutional right.

Damn it Hardway, Your like my dad. Always right. Ok, Looking back on my comments, they were a bit apathetic. I like your thoughts on the topic. I have to admit I agree with everything you have said. I don't however see teachers carrying guns anytime soon.

Being in law enforcment, I tell all my family and friends to become gun owners for their own defense. What would be more awesome to take care of some dirtbag breaking onto your home. Anyway, your right, we all need to be more outspoken when it comes to our rights.

Breacher

~When in doubt, unload the whole magazine~

Breacher, be carefull with statements like "What would be more awesome to take care of some dirtbag breaking into your home," If your in law enforcement, these type of statements can and will haunt you in the civil world if your ever in a position to use your second amendment right of self protection. Also, it is your duty to learn your schools in the area that you work and see what types of policy and procedure your schools and department have in place for active shooter and school security issues. You might be surprized about teachers who have permits to protect themselves and their students. In my county of employment, we have several teachers who are trained in both weapons and weaponless defense. And all our schools have annual training on how to deal with school violence such as an active shooter. All the Law Enforcement agencies in our county also have bi-annual training in school protection, so check with your department, cause unless your in corrections, your department will have a school response plan.

The thought that someone could get p1ssed off and shoot up the school because he had a gun in his vehicle is absurb!!!!!

Shootin up the school is AGAINST THE LAW, HELLO!!!!!!

So he wouldn't go home, get his gun and come back??????? Only if it's in the vehicle huh???????

When some maniac goes bonkers, that same kid may go to his car, get out his shotgun and save lives.

The thought that any of our gun laws make us safer is fantasy!!!

It's already against the law for felons to have access to a gun. IMO the only good gun law is the one requiring them to be secured in the home, away from children.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom