My Kansas Whitetail

C

crazyaboutcoues

Here's the pic of the bucks we took. Unfortunately the guy that took my pic. was blind in both eyes. lol

<http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/sniper45/Kansas_Whitetail.jpg>

This is a picture I took right after taking him.

Kansas_Whitetail1.jpg

here's a pic of my cousins buck.

Kansas_2002_Larry.jpg

Our hunt started on Wednesday. So we got there a couple of days early. We spent two days triing to figure out where we were going to hunt. We talked to as many locals as we could. We drove around the farms and asked for permission to hunt their property. By 3:00pm Tuesday we were shut out by all the farmers. We had one more phone number to call. As luck would have it we hit pay dirt. At first this guy wanted to charge us $500.00 a day per gun. I told him there was no way we could afford that kind of money. I told him of my hunting consulting business in NM and asked him if he was willing to make a swap. To make a long story short we bartered and finally got him down to $250.00 for three days per gun.

Opening morning had us set up in a wheat field. My cousin(Larry) was set up on a high bank on a creek over looking the wheat field where I was set up. The local (Dan) Started walking the creek from the North. About 30 minutes went by with no action. Then suddenly there was movement across the field, about a dozen flatheads and a small 3x3 were working their way towards me from across the field. They got to within 50 yards of where I was. I decieded to pass on the 3 point. As I was glass the deer I noticed they all were looking acrossed the field. I swang my nocks to see what they were looking at. Across the field about 400 yards was the buck I was looking for. He slowly worked his way towards me. I could feel my heart pounding in my throat. Closer and closer he kept coming. I was hoping he would come the same way the does did. As luck would have it he didn't. He stopped at 282 yards, and started grazing. I ranged him at 226 yards and I knew he wasn't getting closer as he started feeding parallel to me. It was now or never. I knew that my .45 cal muzzleloader could take him down at that distance. So I set up for the shot. Luckly I had a Burris bipod to steady my shot. I tried to stop him from walking with grunt calls but he just ignored them. So I had to take a walking shot. KAABLOOM, It took about five seconds before I could see what had happen. When I saw him he was limping pretty hard towards a tree line. I couldn't get that smokepole loaded fast enough. He stood broadside in the trees, he looked like he was about to go down, but I didn't want to chance it. I took a second shot off hand a about 100 yards. After the smoked cleared I couldn't see the buck anymore. Here we go again load the smokepole shaking like a leaf. When I got to the tree line there he was down for good. My first shot hit him about 15" behind the front shoulder, the second at the base of the neck. My hunt was over. I felt alittle sad looking at this beautiful animal, but sadness turned to joy knowing my first Eastern whitetail was in the bag. I thanked God for giving me this opportunity.

Later

Big congrats to you and your cousin! Very nice whitetails. You guys did very very well, especially under the constraints you had finding a place to hunt, and no time to scout to speak of. Gotta love it when a plan comes together!!! Just for fun, what does he score? Always hard to tell from one angle, but Ill be the first to guess at gross 128".

Great job Tommy Boy...hey what's the bump in your lip? Hehe...

Actually I hope to score that big on my Illinois hunt next Oct 2003...archery pre-rut! Can't wait!

Scott G...

completelycrazy: great job, and that is a good buck. I like your story, and isnt it great to get that rush shooting a buck??? I bet it was frustrating trying to hurry up and load that thing....... Allen Taylor......

beautiful whitetail....good story....glad u got him on a short notice of scouting and everything.....congrats.....on your first eastern whitetail

got few whitetail does and fork at virginia where my older sis lives...i can walk back yard from my sis house to the hunting area..and loads of whitetail there....

im going back again but hold for bigger buck....:)

vinihunt

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom