My Last Minute San Juan Bear

BIGOLMULEY

Well, like to thank all those who offered up help to me on this hunt. As I said before, really my fault I put myself in this situation. But at last second and begging some employers for time off. Leroy and his great wife Randy were able to help me out!.

Friday was a bit cold and windy and not a bear track seen. No rigs either. Was looking like they were all denned up. Wish I had bought a cat tag for we cut 3. One was smoking hot.

That night we ran into a guy who was just out playing and recruited him for the next day. He also had not seen or rigged anything on friday.

Headed out early trying to rig something. Ground was pretty hard, and just patchy snow. Knew it was going to be tough. We finally hit a track about 8:30. It was a cold one though. Probably early afternoon the day before.

IMG-20111119-00142.jpg

Walked the dogs to the edge of a rim and let them go. Well, Wesly and Hank hung to the track the whole way. We thought they were off it for a while, (been a couple hours) but saw the track again when trying to loop around to the dogs and we could tell they had the bear up and going. A dog or 2 got on it there. And Nearly 4 hours since we started they had him treed in the bottom of a big nasty hole.

Jumping down ledges and all, we got down there to see this sight:

IMG_0347-1.jpg

Then I looked up and saw this:

IMG_0345.jpg

Not the biggest bear in the world, but a respectable one for sure and I was excited to see him up there. Wasn't to far and the first shot took him through the chest. He headed up the tree a bit and I put one more arrow in him and down he came. We had some pups with us and it was a great experience for them!

IMG_0370.jpg

Thanks to AJ and his kids for all the help!

IMG_0369.jpg

And thanks to Leroy and Randy, couldn't have done it without you

IMG_0367.jpg

Congrats on your Bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any reason to get down to the SJ is a good one...

"And just what were these guys doing riding horses in an aspen thicket"
WhiskyMan

Looks like you bumped on to the right guy, Leroy is one of the finest bear and couger guys around.

Congrats on the bear. Nothing like waiting to the last minute then getting it done. Good job.

Glad you got it done. Good Pictures.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom