My new hunting rig!

MichaelJ

Very Active Member
Check it out guys. Just got done with the first test drive tonight! It's a '79 Dodge Ramcharger. Has 3/4 ton axles, roughly 7" lift, 36x12.50x16 Super Swamper TSL's, Crossover Steering, Borgeson Steering shaft, 360/4bbl/727/NP203, Bedlinered interior, and a flat black paint job. I've been working on this truck since august and have done 80% of the work within the last 5 weeks. I've never spent this much time on anything in my life. Literally been working on it more than I have been going to class (and haven't even missed any classes! haha). Anyways here's the pictures!

What it looked like when I bought it:
trucks2.jpg

Bedlined Interior:
Hunting9-01014.jpg

Getting close!
Installed003.jpg

Awaiting shocks and steering setup:
Stance.jpg

Everything installed and painted!
BackInBlack001.jpg

BackInBlack002.jpg

I'm really excited about this truck! I've put TONS of money, time, sweat, lots of blood, and come close to tears a few times. But I love 'er the same. Did 100% of the work (and $$$) myself which I'm really proud of... Enjoy

Michael
"What I could do, I was doing, and that was simply putting my butt on the line for my country, the country that I loved, so that all the protestors and the academics and the liberal intelligentsia back home could enjoy the right to protest against people like me, the hated middleclass." --Gary R. Smith, US Special Forces

She looks way different than when you bought her!
Nice rig Michael. Hope it hauls tons of game in the future for you. If it were me, I would pitch the trim on the rocker panels. That's just me though. Good job!

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Way to go kid!
She looked like an over ripe banana when you started.
I hope you add that custom permanent red stain to the cargo area soon!
HH

Way Cool!!
I love old iron!
There is something about the old Ram/Bronc/Blaz rigs, weight distribution or something, they are near unstopable in nasty conditions.
Looks like you've set up the running gear perty much bullet proof.
Now... ;<}
That bad boy needs a winch!

Nice job Michael!

I DRIVE AN 06 RAM .....I COULD NOT AFFORD A CHEVY EITHER....
Look ready for dirt!!
rm

looks to be a tank...bulletproof components, good clearance, you could have some serious fun with that thing.
good job

Thanks guys! I might now sell my car to help with the rest of the build. I'm "planning" on taking the 360/efi out of my 1990 Parts Truck and rebuild it, and throw that in the truck, aswell as a 518 Tranny (727 with an overdrive!), which will allow me to bolt up my NP241 Transfer Case which has a WAY better 4-Low gear ratio. So it'll have all modern parts with lots of power, along with the old school stying and stuff. As for a winch, I already got a winch bumper on the front and my brother in law has a real big winch that I'm getting! Should be pretty sweet!

And it's deffinately true about the weight distribution of these old trucks. They rule in snow and hill climbs!!!

Michael
"What I could do, I was doing, and that was simply putting my butt on the line for my country, the country that I loved, so that all the protestors and the academics and the liberal intelligentsia back home could enjoy the right to protest against people like me, the hated middleclass." --Gary R. Smith, US Special Forces

may need 1 ton running gear if you pump up to much torque
and run 4:56(air lockers help) gears(get gears venders and stick w/the 727). A LOT OF DOUGH THOUGH(BUT THATS BULLET PROVEN).
RM

Nice call Rack. MJ, see you on Mission Ridge sometime cahsing the dream. Nice job.

>may need 1 ton running gear
>if you pump up to
>much torque
>and run 4:56(air lockers help) gears(get
>gears venders and stick w/the
>727). A LOT OF DOUGH
>THOUGH(BUT THATS BULLET PROVEN).
>RM

The only thing that I'd need to upgrade would be to go to a Dana 60 front instead of the D44 that's in there now. At most I'd be pushing 350 hp and i'm guessing around 400-450 ft lbs of torque (the only aftermarket HP parts that'd go into the engine would be a nice cam, some headwork, a good intake, and decent headers, just got to match 'em all up to work together). If I do build that motor I plan to use MegaSquirt to run it all. Aftermarket cams don't mix with stock ECU's. Plus I'm only running 12.5" wide tires so that deffinately keeps some stress off the axles (as opposed to an 18" wide tire that a lot of guys are running).

If anything I'd be better with 3.55's instead of 4.56's cause I'd have the extra torque to turn that gear. 4.56's would help a lot if I was running say a 318 when I need the extra leverage of the taller gears, but more power=less of a need for gears. Air lockers are nice, but in cold weather they tend to slow down quite a bit and take longer to lock in. If I did go with a locker I'd either go with the Ox Locker (Cable Actuated) or the Eaton "E-Locker" which only uses 1 wire and it's hooked up electronically.

Michael

For a trail/hunting rig, the 44 will live if ya don't get crazy. Crossover/high steer is good! (finding a flat righthand knuckle is getting tuff)
I thing the narower(pffffft.... 12.5 is narrow??) tires are a good decision, ittle make it a little more streetable than the bigg'en's, after all, ya hafta get to the mountain to go up the mountain!
I'm not completely sold on remote lockers... (old school-hardheaded... ),I've seen a ton of ARB's fail, enough to make me leary of the rest.
I like a locker in front, you can always unlock one hub so's ya can steer.
I think yer on the right track with the newer efi/od trans/241, that's a setup thattle be hard to beet(ya... I like an auto fer wheel'n...)
Good on Ya!! Nice Rig!

Needs a BIG Texas sized long horn to go on the front.

Mike it looks like you out did yourself in setting up that rig. Great job.

Eric, you really are one intuitive man. How'd you know what my paint would eventually look like? haha You have way too much free time... What I think I'm going to do though it since the paint is a "Semi-Gloss" black, I'm going to paint some flames on the front in a "Gloss" black so they'll be kind of like ghost flames. I think it should look actually pretty sweet.

Thanks SMOKESTICK, I took it out wheeling last night and it's a freaking tank!

Michael

Would that be refered to as the "Ambiguously gay hunting rig?"
LMAO!

"RKBA....ALL THINGS CONSIDERED"

Nice rig and nice work!!

You are going to have a blast in that old rig.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Thanks Aspen, it does need some work. I'm giving her a new tuneup and I got to figure out something about my U Joints. I blew my front and rear within 3 days... lol I might have to change my pinion yokes and have new driveshaft yokes welded onto my driveshafts to run a 1350 U joint instead of the weakass 1/2 ton 1306 U joints. My pinion angles aren't even that bad, I just think that for those tires the u joints are the weak point in the drivetrain right now.

I'm also picking up some weather striping and going to replace a bunch of the old stuff cause she sure rattles a lot!

Michael

Good looking truck. My suggestion is to get a sledge hammer and pound a couple of dents into the sides. Then take a screw driver and scratch up the paint a little bit all the way around. That way you won't feel bad about scratching that thing up when you drive up that way rocky 4WD road and through the trees to the hunting/fishing grounds! This may be all the more important if you have a wife. The wife might get the idea that the truck looks pretty and not allow you to drive it in harms way!!!

Of course I'm joking. Nice work. Do you have skid plates to protect things like oil pans etc. underneath? If not this might be something to add to your project list.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom