my oregon "general" bull

K

KILLERBEE

i know these are crummy pics, the back of the truck- bloody- pics, but i didn't bring a camera and was in a hurry.
my hunt started with my 9 month prego wife throwing a VERY RARE emotional "your going to be gone on my birthdayday" fit............
[ but i suppose thats o.k.] so i bagged my 4 day bivy hunt to go camping, in warm camp trailer, with the wife and daughter. WE HAD A BLAST!
anyway- we were camping in a unit i only turkey hunt in. i've never elk hunted there at all. i was just taking a few 3-4 hr hunts each day. well sunday morning i tried a canyon i've worked a few turkeys in and got into a heard of elk. 500 yrds from the truck[ with my head down] i walked up on a bull and busted him out at 50 yrds i hit a bugle and another bull answered. it went back and forth about 5-6 times but he was going away the whole time. so i put up the calls and started hooofing it. i could see the elk the whole time from 100-200 yrds and just kept flanking them for about an hour. finally they were heading to a draw, so i ran as fast as i could to get there before them. when i was about 5 yrs from the edge i stopped and slowly krept over the edge. right then the heard was single file down the draw. this 5 point came out first and i put 40 yrd pin on him and tried to settle down. for some reason---- maybe it's the elk hunting--- i could not get settled on his vitals. finally made myself settle down and set my pin. at the release i lost my arrow.i thought it was good but was worried. i couldn't take it and had to go look for my arrow. when i got to where the bull was standing i found the fletching half of my arrow covered in blood!from there it was a 2 foot wide path of blood as far as i could see!!I KNEW I WAS GOING TO FIND HIM!!! i tracked him for all of 40 yrds[ which was just barely out of my site- over a ridge-] and there he was.!!!!!!
i've been on a little drought for a couple yrs with my bow and was really losing confidents. i've let a handfull of bulls walk that were bigger than this one. but it was time.and after the whole
"family" outing it was very rewarding!
once again - sorry for the crummy pics, and i know this aint no 350+utah LE bull, but it was fun!

48d9cf6817807deb.jpg

NICE BULL,NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.HES A GREAT BULL AND I KNOW THAT FEELING WELL OF TRYING TO CALM DOWN AND GET THOSE PINS SET.
GREAT JOB
SIMO

thanks guys,i was in the grizzly unit. i live in Prineville so it's just out of town.

I can't imagine your lovely wife being upset. Perhaps you should take her camping more often or bring her to Hermiston more often.

TL

thats funny. she puts up with alot, but when she does loose--- watch out:) hopefully we can get up to hermiston to see everyone soon. danner wants to see "darla"

Back
Top Bottom