my son wants to start taxidermy

bigfoot llamas

My son wants to start learning taxidermy. We bought a couple of how to videos but there is alot if information that just is not there. Not to mention the expenses of starting up. If there is a taxidermist that would be willing to bring him in and teach him in trade for his labor I know he would jump at the chance. He has always been artistic, unlike his father and determined to do whatever he sets his mind on. He is 14 and has hunted with me since he was three. We live in West Haven, Utah.

If nothing on that if someone out there has used some start up tools that could get him headed in the right direction I would appreciate the help. I would gladly purchase them or if you need any sign work done I own a sign company, Bigfoot Signs & Graphics I would be willing to do some trade work.

Thank you,

Thad
Bigfoot Signs & Graphics, LLC

Most of the tools he'll need you probably already have.
I started when I was 12 and my only teacher was a book. Today there are numerous DVD's and he can get help online at taxidermy.net
Also, attend state taxidermy conventions (or Nationals if you're close enough) and sit in on the seminars.

I am still in the process of learning head mounts, but I do birds. If you can get your hands on a couple pheasants, I will tell you what to order for the form and eyes etc and teach him. I have all the tools he will need. The supplies for 2 pheasants should only cost around 20-30 bucks. Let me know if you can get your hands on any. Ducks would be fine too, but a pheasant is much much easier for a beginner.

Steve Ohngren

Does your son want to begin with a particular type of taxidermy or jump right into the whole mess?
If your son would like to begin with birds I would highly recommend Stephan Savides at Avian Design Taxidermy in Klamath Falls Oregon. Stephan is arguably the best bird taxidermist in the country! He offers a great 1 week mano-y-mano course at his shop.
If your son would like to jump into a structured "complete" taxidermy school (birds, fish, mammals & game heads) I would recommend Dan Rinehart Taxidermy school in Wisconsin. Dan offers a several month course and is taught in a classrom hands on environment.
If it's just fish you want Rick Krane is the man!
Look on "taxidermy.net" and you will find a slew of taxidermy schools and instruction!
Good Luck
Paul Barath
Nice Rack Taxidermy

Thank you for the feeback we have started purchasing supplies little by little and a couple of videos to help him get started.

Try craigslist and Ksl for buying up pheasants or quail they are pretty cheap so you can get a few for him to start on. GOOD LUCK TO HIM.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom