My thoughts on wolves

Idahoron

Very Active Member
This is a copy and paste from judge Malloy?s own document.

"the Court finds:
? The Endangered Species Act does not allow the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to list only part of a "species" as endangered, or to protect a listed distinct population segment only in part as the Final Rule here does; and

? the legislative history of the Endangered Species Act does not support the Service's new interpretation of the phrase "significant portion of its range." To the contrary it supports the historical view that the Service has always held, the Endangered Species Act does not allow a distinct population segment to be subdivided."

Ok I ask this. If the population can NOT be subdivided then why are Canadian Grey wolves living in Idaho listed when they are NOT endangered in Canada?
In the same document it says the Rocky mountain gray wolf is listed. How can they transplant a Canadian Grey wolf and it turn into a Rocky Mountain gray wolf?
In my opinion they are different species.
So I ask again. If the good judge wants them all to count as one no subdividing the States populations. Why is he not counting the wolves in Canada? They are all Canadian gray wolves. HE is the one that is subdividing the wolves in the lower 48 from the Brood stock in Canada. Ron

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-10 AT 08:02PM (MST)[p]does our esa incompass canada? do they have their own act? it is a diff. country after all. maybe im way off board.

but, i agree they should be counted one in the same.

There is no difference between a 'canadian grey wolf' and a 'rocky mountain grey wolf'. They're the same species and subspecies. It would be equivalent to calling a 'montana mule deer' different than a 'wyoming mule deer'. It's the same deer. The ultimate reason they can't segment the population is that when they listed the species they determined the recovery area and all the wolves in that recovery area were listed under the recovery act. Now if they want to delist they must delist as one species that covers the original recovery area. To be honest I believe Wyoming is the one holding up this whole process. IF they had come to their senses and delisted like Idaho and Montana and had reasonable plans this would not be happening. I'm not a huge wolf lover either, I think they need to be managed like all species. I also believe we as sportsmen should ask Wyoming when it is going to fix it's internal problem, so we can get on with wolf management. This is just my 2 pennies on the issue.
Kurt

Canadian imported Wolves and the Rocky Mountain wolves that were here prior to the introduction( Note I said Introduction not reintroduction) are only similar in being subspecies related, that's all.

That's like saying that Florida Largemouth and Northern Strain Largemouth bass are the same.

The wolf that was introduced came from the Mckenzie Valley in Canada and grow towards 150 lbs.( canus lupus occidentalis) The wolves that were here before were Canus lupus nubilus and irremotus.

They were MUCH SMALLER wolves that ranged up to 80 lbs. Big difference there.
The ESA was further tread on by having these giant Wolves introduced to kill the few naturally remaining wolves that still existed here.

My thoughts on wolves.

Sorry but you are fighting a losing battle. This population is going to be counted seperately from Canada and the Judge is just stating the legal fact based on how the LAW is written. This judge has already basically ruled that the evidence is here that the wolves have met recovery status, but that Wyo just has to have a plan that is acceptable OR the law needs to be rewritten. The path of least resistence to getting what is necessary and practicle is to have Wyoming get a plan in place. Hell we had seasons that ran from Oct to March and we still couldn't fill our own tags. On top of that, the Feds killed quite a few, plus ranchers no longer have to wait until their livestock are being chewed on to justify a kill. I and my friends have noticed considerably less wolf sign in units 39, 43, 44, 23, and 24 and a friend of my son's spent all summer in the Sawtooths and the Smokeys cutting trail for the forest service and he said the only Wolf sign he saw was one evening where they herd howling. Now I'm not nieve enough to think the wolves are gone, far from it, but I think they have pushed back farther away from civilization and will stay farther away from the roads and we need to stay on top of them instead of fighting in the courts for a few years while Wyoming fights for it's right to hunt them anytime, anywhere, anyway they see fit.

The only thing I would like to see politically out of our Governor and our Fish and Game is to have them tell Wyoming to quit F@&ing around!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom