My unit 12 muzzy elk hunt

F

Freedomrocks

Here is the hunt, It started many months ago, I was looking for a hunt to use my points. I had 11 NRPP and I wanted a muzzy hunt in the rut and with the point creep and my age creep it was time to go. I talked to 2 different game bios for the area. They talked of good numbers. I also got some info from fellow MM via PMs. Thanks for the info guys ( this site rocks ). After a quick 1,000 mile drive we set up camp. On thursday eve.pryor to opener we go on a short 2 mile walk . No elk, no fresh sign,not one bugle. Thats ok we were close to roads and the archers have been at it a while. Friday we hit the skinny fish T H we walk in over 3 miles, still no fresh sign and no noise. We talk to 2 archers that had been there a week, no shots, 1 bugle , slow, I hope it turned around for them. With all the good reports at least numbers I was suprised not to see 1 elk. O well thats hunting, Day 1 up to boulder lake. we hit the TH at 5 am. elk total 2 bulls, 15 cows, not bad for the opener. No shots. . Day 2 up the carhart trail to get on top. A long walk but it is so beautiful, who cares 3 hrs. later were on top.While eatin lunch We hit the cow call, we get a hit back, but he just wont committ no elk seen all day. Day 3 off to pagota peak, another long walk to the back side, 2 bulls and 4 cows. They are just not talking and the cows are smarter than the bulls. Day 4 off on pagota trail going east. We were the first on the trail just to be passed by 2 other groups of hunters. Very little sign and no bulls talking. We leave that honey hole in a hurry, That afternoon it rains about 1 inch. Day 5 up to mirror lake,all day with about 1 hr of day light we get a good 5 pt coming in hot, he was ticked off and was lookin for a fight, he holds up at 200 yds. if he goes left he is mine, he goes right,,o so close. Day 6 we hunt from dark to dark getting back at the truck at 10 pm. We see 1 small bull all day. No shot. No shots all season. Not even a good shot at a cow. We walked at least 75 miles in 8 days..if i could draw it again would I go back? IMHO not sure!

I hate to say it, but you had some crummy luck this year. This has been the oddest year yet for elk. I know some local processors. Their numbers are down on both elk and deer from the archery/muzzy seasons. One of the best processors around here is stating he has seen a 60% decrease since last year this time.

The area you hunted are some of my favorite places for fishing etc. If I was hunting that area you mentioned several places where I would have tried. The only thing I can say is the elk were just not active this year at all yet. Good luck on your hunt. IMHO 12 points is a lot to spend for a unit that rarely produces anything more than a rag horn. On the flip a nonresident hunt with a muzzy is not exactly in low demand.

Look at the other unit 12 report a few threads down. Atleast you had some luck.

Last Winter, while Looking at units to burn some points in on a possible Muzzy hunt; what struck me about 12 was that for first rifle it took zero to one point. That must say a lot for what is available for bulls, no? I assumed there must be more to it, maybe good bulls are there early that head to private, or leave the unit by first rifle?

You covered a lot of ground, maybe too much, sounds like you enjoyed yourself.

Ryan V

Hey Loner, We covered lots of ground only because we could not find any elk with in 3 miles of the road, We did not want to walk that much every day but we had no choice. We ended up seeing 8 bulls of witch only 1 was a small rag 4. The other 7 were mature 5s and 6s. The thing that got me was i talked to several groups that drew cow tags for there 2nd choice. I have taken many elk with a high power, its a new game with a smoke pole, and waiting 8 to 10 more years just to hunt 201 or other units is not worth it to me. Hunting big mulies is my 1st choice any way. DIY only. 40 years and counting

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom