My year in Nevada

leavitt7

Let me just say I love my home state of Nevada. This year I was lucky enough to draw a awesome mule deer tag. My father also ended up drawing a great bull tag. When I first found out that I drew the tag I thought for sure I would be putting in a ton of time scouting and hunting I would later find out family and work came first. Plus I was down helping with Matt Schimberg and Arizona Strip bucks for most of August and September. Anyways, opening morning finally came around I was kind of worried I hadn't seen anything really with any size to it before the hunt. Expectations are high in this area, I brought my good luck charm with me, my beautiful wife. We left the little one at home with her grandparents.
The first day of the hunt wasn't the best for finding deer, in fact only saw a couple does all day. We did end up seeing a lot of big bulls still herding cows around though so it made things a bit more exciting. The next morning we ended up going to a place I had scouted earlier this summer where I knew nobody would be around. Sure enough nobody in sight, the morning started slow we were sitting up on a rock cropping above water where there was plenty of deer sign going in and out of. At about eight I spotted a group of bucks a long ways out. After looking at the biggest buck in the group I decided he just wasn't worth taking this early in the hunt. I decided to get up and look over the next little ridge and leave my wife to keep looking at the bucks to at least see where they bedded. The second I reached the top of the ridge I looked back towards my wife and saw a little four point sprinting away from the water below my wife. He was working his way uphill and around the backside of the ridge I was going to look at. I called my wife up the hill so that we could see where he went, sure enough when we crested we found a bachelor group of about ten bucks. The biggest I could find though was a 140 class four point, needless to say I was really disappointed. But like I said I brought my lucky charm she said, "wow that is one huge two point!" I shrugged off and said kind of laughing sweet. Then she replied, " nevermind it's a huge three point!" I still kind of shrugging her off said where. She explained to me that he was well below the others. I looked through the scope and to be honest still wasn't really impressed. She reminded me telling me I have been looking at Arizona Strip deer for the last month and telling me the deer is bigger then I am giving him credit for. She told me to shoot.
9706terrandeer1.jpg
Now all you married men know to listen to your wives or it means trouble. I knew this was the only time this year I would be able to hunt with my wife so I listened and made the shot on the buck once he stood. Sure enough we walked up to him and he grew and grew and grew! The pictures do this deer no justice to the size he actually is, his mass is crazy throughout his antlers. The experience was way more worth being able to spend it with my wife and have her there to be a part of it. The pack out was horrendous! My deer ended up scoring 171 as a 3x4! I have always wanted a big three point which we thought he was until we walked up and found the little fork. Oh well he is one big unique deer that will look great on the wall!
2919terrans231deer2.jpg
6404terrans231deer1.jpg
5007dadsbull.jpg

And here is the picture of my dad's bull I helped him on. Shot him with a muzzy at 230 yards. So proud of him! I am so blessed to have such amazing family around me. So lucky to have a wife that loves the outdoors and loves hunting with me. I am a very blessed man and cannot wait to see what the future has in store for me and my family.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom