Name that elk country

R

ridgetop

Here is a pic I took back in 1995. Wish I would have had a little more zoom, and had a good pic that showed them all. There were some hogs in this group of 20+ bulls!

honeybulls.jpg

Thats a cool picture ridgetop,looks like there are some dandys in that bunch.I wouldn't have a clue where it's at but thanks for sharing the photo'.

Pt. Reyes . I go out there this time of the year to check out the bulls . There's some monsters out there .

If it is Pt. Reyes where these Elk are then I am only about 40 miles as the crow flies. I have heard that there are a lot of Elk out there now, but never take the time to drive over, maybe I will now.
As to where Pt. Reyes is it is north of San Francisco along the coastline on Hwy 1.

Brian

Congrats to those who correctly answered Tule elk, and Point Reyes! You are correct sirs. It is roughly about an hour or so north of San Francisco.

Yeah. This was in early August, and the wife and I were honeymooning in the Bay area. Kind of drove up there on a whim, just to see the scenery more than anything. I had read somewhere they had some Tule elk in the area. Didnt really think we'd see any. As we were hiking along the coast, looking at the Pacific we spotted a herd of about 20 cows and a herd bull. Pretty cool. Then as we were driving out I spotted an elk over this hill about 3/4 of a mile out. I got the binos out and saw it was a bachelor herd. I snuck within 50 yards or so of a big herd with some huge bulls. Kind of different to see and hear the clamor of a sea lion colony and have the potential to spot whales within miles of some wild elk herds...

You guys who live out there definately have some nice country to knock around in.

Anyone who visits the Bay Area or lives nearby should try to take a trip out there . Point Reyes is about 40 minutes from highway 101 . The elk are very easy to find . There is a high fence at the entrance and the Pacific on one side and a bay on the other with very little cover as the photo shows . You can usually see the elk from the road . There are a couple of hiking paths that are fairly crowded . I go out there to use the optics and practice filming through the spotting scope . Have seen a couple of really good battles during the rut . I might try to head over there this weekend and see if I can figure out how to use the wifes new digital camera .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom