NAME YOUR TROPHY...

jeremydhinds

Ok guys and gals lets have some fun with this one. Reading the SPIDER Bull threads got me thinking.......how many of you have shot an big game animal that had an "a.k.a" on its head. Lets hear em.

My bull this year spent most of the early hunts on private property owned by some Smiths. Several hunters spent their hunts trying to get him to come off the property to no avail. I heard him referred to as "The Smith's Bull". A month before my late hunt he left the property. I tracked him down and killed him the first day of the late hunt. My last name is Smith (NOT related to the landowner), so the nickname was somewhat fitting, I suppose.

I killed a big bull back in 2002 in unit 13 in New Mexico that apparently had a local nickname. I shot him a mile or two east of Pietown, and we took him to Quemado to skin and quarter him at a meat locker. While there, a local hunting guide came by, saw the bull and said "You killed one of the Three Amigos!" We were like "Huh?", so he explained that three big, old bulls were living together all summer, and spent much of their time behind the cafe in Pietown, they got nicknamed "The Three Amigos" by someone and the name stuck. I guess the other two were just about the same size as my bull, but I never heard anything about the other bulls being killed. My bull was all alone when I took him, but that was in early October.

The only one I ever named was "Myrtle"

It was last year when I went to Oklahoma to hunt turtle.

:)

I chased this bull for 2 weeks this last year with my bow before killing him. I named this one "Kickstand." He's a six point on one side and a 2 on the other with a 3rd pedicle in the middle of his forehead.

4960f8875d213152.jpg

To each their own. I know lots of guys have pet names for animals they hunt and see, but I could never do it.

You name kids, dogs, and horses....not stuff you kill.;-)

I do ALOT of scouting with my friend. Naming the shooters just helps us remember which animals, where they are andhow big they were when we are trying to figure out where to go and for what animal we will be hunting when it comes season. I don't name them with any disrespect intended.

+ 1 Marley, My brother and I do the same thing just naturally out of conversation. Of course there is no disrespect intended. We name a few calfs (beef) every spring and I don't have a problem eating them.............

I dont think it is disrespuctful at all. I always thought it was kind of corny? Maybe I was too embarrassed to name one?;-)

When I finally packed my '07 bull out and was loading him in the truck, a local guide pulled in and said "You shot Charlie!" I said "Uh, I guess so." Just then a bear hunter came along and started a screaming match with the guide about being reported for poaching... We thought the lead was about to fly so we left, never getting an explanation of why the bull was called Charlie.

Most of a year later, I was trying to chase down the guide I had talked to about my bull because he said he had sheds from my bull. I thought it would be fun to see what he looked like the year before. So I emailed the Big Boss Outfitter (you might have heard of him on MM before. He goes by Doyle, but some prefer to call him Satan). He said that he had filmed my bull and there was footage of him on one of his DVDs, and that he would send me a free copy! Wow! I was impressed. Thanks, Doyle.

Anyway, long story short: Over a year later, I found out that the crazy bear hunter that was screaming at the guide was named Charlie. The guide had named the bull after him because of the ongoing battle between them. Thought it was kinda funny.

I've named a few animals but never taken one that I've named.

Here's a pic to make it worth reading all this:

4961978f06775253.jpg

HAZMAT

www.muddyroad.net

I always try to name the animals that
I see while scouting, or that I pass
on during a season, Mainly so that if
I am talking with a friend it is alot
easier to say " lets go check on Spread"
rather than explain the bull that was
really wide but not great tine length, that
lives 2 canyons from here.

I just seems a lot easier, mainly for
Antelope hunting, cause you see so many.

Just my 2 cents !

I shot a buck in Wyoming a few years back. 4 months later I show the picture to a guide (his name was Doyle) one glance at the photo and he says that bucks name is Goliath get the magnum mulies video and check him out. So I shot over to Sportsmans Warehouse got the video and sure enough it was the same buck.
By the way my name is David

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-09 AT 05:16PM (MST)[p]I shot a buck one year and a guy we see often when hunting waived me down when I was leaving the mountain. He said "thats the c**ksucker I was after."

We nicknamed the guy . . .

I'm in the naming camp. When I see a big muley, be it during the season or scouting post and preseason, I like to give him a name that distinguishes him from the other muleys I've seen. I've named a lot of bucks that are either still roaming the hills or have become wolf or catscat. But I have been fortunate to have actually killed 2 bucks that I had named. One, I chased for 5 years, filming him post season and then picking up 4 years of sheds off him. The final chapter was written the fall of 06. I called him MassNTrash, or MnT for short.

Live Winter 2004/2005
MnT04-05a.jpg

MnT04-05c.jpg

Sheds 2004/2005
Mar13016a.jpg

Live Winter 2005/2006
MassNTrash05-06a.jpg

Sheds 2005/2006
Mar13019a.jpg

Live Dec 10, 2006
Dec11008.jpg

MassNTrash finally on the ground, Dec 10, 2006
08630024.jpg

The other buck I had named Deep Forks the first winter I filmed him. The next winter he came in with a little different antler configuration and I wasn't sure at the time he was Deep Forks, so I gave him the name The Eyeguard Buck due to his overly large eyeguard. Both winters I saw him, he hung out with his buddy MnT. I was able to kill him the fall of 2007. I now call him the Deep Forked Eyeguard Buck.

Live Winter 2004/2005
DeepForkEyeguardBuck1.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

Live Winter 2005/2006
Mar24008.jpg

Mar24010.jpg

The Deep Forked Eyeguard Buck on the ground, Nov 2007
NOV17031a.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-09 AT 02:31PM (MST)[p]I got a tule elk in '06 that locals called "drop tine" for obvious reasons.
4963cce91aced7f3.jpg

4963cdaa2122a805.jpg

>I always try to name the
>animals that
>I see while scouting, or that
>I pass
>on during a season, Mainly so
>that if
>I am talking with a friend
>it is alot
>easier to say " lets go
>check on Spread"
>rather than explain the bull that
>was
>really wide but not great tine
>length, that
>lives 2 canyons from here.
>
>I just seems a lot easier,
>mainly for
>Antelope hunting, cause you see so
>many.
>
>Just my 2 cents !

+1! We name everything worth looking at a second time and/or if it is just plain different.

Aim Small... Miss Small!!

Let's Get Bloody!!!

FUGGETABOUT IT!!!!!

Gino

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-09 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]I shot a huge elk on the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness a couple of years ago that everyone called "A-118/1999" or "Progesterone Di-anabol" for short, at least that was what we used to call him in "Here A-118/119 - here boy! Hey Progesterone-Dianabol supper's on!!" - worked like a charm. He walked right up within 10 feet of us but then he got stuck in a bog so I just stabbed him in the neck with my ink pen and now he is hanging in the garage, I wonder what he would score, maybe I will take him to the Idaho Fish and Game and they can score it for me. The guy at the service station told me he scored 527 and that he had the sheds from the last 8 years, from spike to the year before I harvested him and that he had progressed from 200 to 509. I got him when he peaked I guess because everyone was sure he was going to go down hill the next year. I remeber them saying about that year being their "last hurrah" and that they were always on the lookout for some guy named "Fed" - guess he was a lost hunter. I have since tried to contact that guide service, but the number is disconnected. That is sad, because they had some real big name clients too, like Troy Gentry from the country duo Montgomery-Gentry. They also had a great big wall full of Mule Deer heads, you know, outside like on a log cabin, said they were all B&C record book bucks too. Taken by some guy who wrote a book about hunting giant muleys, can't remember his name though. They told me that I could get one just like one of those, though I needed to bring some spare change and pretend like I was looking for used kids toys and spare electronic parts - interesting hunting strategy. Anyway, I would have had to pay for a ride in a very small plane too, looked kind of like a go-cart with wings, but I couldn't come up with the spare change so I let it go.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I was on a limited entry hunt in 06' and saw many bulls. I named two. One I named "Opening Day" because he was the only bull I would take on opening day. The other was a monster that I named "Indian Joe" because he was about a half a mile on the wrong side of the indian ground boundry. Needless to say 15 minutes into opening morning I was staring face to face with the bull I named "Opening Day." The rest is history. If curious, you can take a look at "Opening Day" by clicking the link. I have posted the link before, but it never gets old to me..

http://www.monsterhuntclips.com/view_video.php?viewkey=8b75c294dffdc3e46390

That is a great bull! Great story too - looks like you had a good plan and executed it well. Do you know if "Indian Joe" ever was harvested?

UTROY

Roy,
My Dad drew the same tag this year so we were in there a lot and believe it or not "Indian Joe" was still there. Spotted him in the same meadow as years past. Can't be positive but the 08' "Indian Joe" had a nearly identical rack as the 06' "Indian Joe." However, we guessed him in 06' to be in the 350 to 360 class range. This year I bet he is closer to 380. He put on a ton of mass and added some tine length, especially in his front end. Its funny how it seems those big boys know exactly where that boundry is that keeps them safe.

Yeah - it is hard to get one to come off the res! - Cnce they establish their territory there it seems they don't roam too far if they don't have to.

Sending you a PM.

UTROY

Dont know if this counts as a trophy but we raised a lamb one time.The kids named him Snowball.I came home from work one night and found my wife and daughters sitting in the car with Snowball standing next to the car.I pulled up next to my wifes car and asked her what was going on.She said everytime she tried to open the car door to get out,the damn lamb would head butt the car door.Bigger than s##t,the door was caved in.Well,to make a long story short,Snowball was one good tasteing Trophy.(ROD)

We would name our cows and pigs T-bone or pork chop just to remind us what they are for. I am not that creative when it comes to names. This past season I chased "My Buck" & "The Brother Buck". Shot "My Buck" and lost him after 2 week. I think someone found him, at least he didn't go to waste. I never saw "the Brother Buck" again.
The Brother Buck is the one on the right. He stood there at 50 yds. for 30 min. after letting my arrow fly at My Buck.
49659a791a8975e5.jpg

I didn't have the heart to shoot him. He was a popular Buck with the ladies. Seen him on the road doing his thing. He earned this name Rutnbuck. Mighty fine creature!
Rutnbuck

We hunted Monroe and had several elk named,,,one we called Mud bull and another Halloween bull... I didnt connect on either one but finally connected on heavy 5... and I seen a picture at sportsmans of Holloween bull taken by a lady with a rifle. Nice bull!

I love to hunt, but I an not necessarily a trophy hunter. In hunting season 1995, I was on a hunt with family and friends, and had missed several opportunities at "meat bucks". I took a pretty good ribbing such as "Heck, the kids missed bucks like that for thirty years!" I was last to fill out,and was hunting alone, when I came upon a buck partially hidden by trees. To this day , I thought he was a small 3x3. I actually MISSED the first shot, and I could make out forked horn as he turned his head, when I delivered a clinch shot. When I got to the deer, he only had the ONE two-point antler-hadn't even grown a second antler!! When I returned to camp, and hoisted him up with the other bucks, it was dark. My brother Mike saw I had got a buck-I said,"Yeah, a 'half-a-buck'!"- He thought,"Spike?"- When he saw my trophy, he felt sorry for me, so he broke off a branch and handed it to me. So, unashamedly, I got a buck horn mounting kit and mounted it, complete with a torn-in-half 'buck' and a brass plate "Pete's Half-a-buck, Jack Creek-1995", and the tree branch, which counting ring point, makes it a 2x3!!

in recent years we had:
the "black bull"...a bull i hunted for two seasons, the first time we saw him, 3 of us were cruising down a ridge at dark and he stepped out from a wallow, completely covered in black mud except for the tips of his antlers...he was huge and looked pretty menacing. .after seeing him 3 or 4 more times before the season, i put a bullet in him opening morning. he didn't go down and went over a ridge where some low lifes from New Meadows watched him bed down, finished him off and stole him from me.
then there was my prize muley..."Mr. Big", we also had "the superbowl buck" a 27inch double drop tine buck that my uncle had a 100yard shot on and the gun went "click" and he bounced away. we were physically ill and I said "this is what is must feel like to lose the superbowl"

for 10 years now, on a yearly basis we are always on the lookout for "wabu the monster bull"...something a friend said in college that seems to have stuck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom