Native American Artifacts

Tristate

Long Time Member
I am hoping there may be a person here that is an expert or highly knowledgeable in stone artifacts and identification. I found a stone in an area we know is an old Indian camp. The stone definitely appears worked. None of us are sure of its purpose. I would like to learn what exactly it was used for.

20221124_130451.jpg
20221124_130440.jpg

Approximately 4 inches in length.

I have wondered if it was a specialized sharpening tool for grinding or shaping other tools they were manufacturing.

One of my friends who is a very big collector of stone age tools has been at this site many times. He has found a atlatl weight there and wonders if this one may have been at atlatl weight also even though he has not seen one like it. We were talking and thought maybe it was used to flatten atlatl weights though.

He has also had the idea that it may have been nothing more than a polished and worn decoration.

Maybe a Celt or adze that they just kept polishing and using until that's all that was left of it after many years of use.

One thing about this Archeological MM Crew...you ask a serious question...you ain't gettin. a serious reply.. It's definitely hand-made and looks like residue on both ends with the middle having been rubbed or ground..looks too big for Atlatl weight and too limber to be a milling stone.. Does the other side look the same?

Last edited:
You can find the answer to that question or be given the name of someone that can help you if you call the Heritage Museum in Twin Falls. There was a man around twin for many years , I beleive his name was Robert Woods, he taught classes on Indian Artifacts and flint knapping and Twin Falls has several of these old timers that really know these tools. The Heritage museum also has the most valuable stone tool collection that has ever been found, it is called the Simon Collection. The Simon collection was unearthed in or around 1969 and I believe there were 29 spear points and tools found together on the Camas Prairie in Idaho. They are absolutely beautiful and they have know idea where all the different spear points came from. They do know they were used for killing Saber Tooth Tigers and Wooly Mammoths around Fairfield Idaho by Cave Men.

One thing about this Archeological MM Crew...you ask a serious question...you ain't gettin. a serious reply.. It's definitely hand-made and looks like residue on both ends with the middle having been rubbed or ground..looks too big for Atlatl weight and too limber to be a milling stone.. Does the other side look the same?
I know I'm gonna get some smart ass responses here but I know I will get good information also. Thanks for your response.

The other side is pretty much the same except there are 2 mineral stains I believe from dirt it was resting on. Overall it is very well polished except for a small chip on one of the long edges and a faint scratch down one of the flat sides.

You can find the answer to that question or be given the name of someone that can help you if you call the Heritage Museum in Twin Falls. There was a man around twin for many years , I beleive his name was Robert Woods, he taught classes on Indian Artifacts and flint knapping and Twin Falls has several of these old timers that really know these tools. The Heritage museum also has the most valuable stone tool collection that has ever been found, it is called the Simon Collection. The Simon collection was unearthed in or around 1969 and I believe there were 29 spear points and tools found together on the Camas Prairie in Idaho. They are absolutely beautiful and they have know idea where all the different spear points came from. They do know they were used for killing Saber Tooth Tigers and Wooly Mammoths around Fairfield Idaho by Cave Men.
Thanks for this info. I will try and reach out to them.

Seriously, it looks like most any river rock I could find in the hills of the many streams of the Appalachians.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom