ND Opening Day Pheasants (PICS)

• Thread starter NDBadlandsbucks
  • Start date
N

NDBadlandsbucks

We got these on my dad's and uncle's places in SW North Dakota. YES that is snow on the ground - three days before the opener we had the worst blizzard on record for that time of the year 4th and 5th of October - anywhere form a foot to two feet of snow in some places. It killed a few birds, but there were plenty to be had, as you can see.

Opening Day
2006NDPheasantsOpeningDay.jpg

Day 2
2006NDPheasantsDay2.jpg

We had a blast!

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

Nice job, how old is that pup? If you need another shorthair (and a gunner) let me know!

Rut

That looks so sweet!! You guys did get hammered but the snow makes for fun huntin'!! My Dad struggled with the same snow storm in MT. Funny thing, he said he didn't hear from FEMA, or didn't see $2000.00 debit cards, or any of the major news anchors dropping in to "report live", or any looting going on. They just fired up alternative power sources, lite the fires and helped his neighbors. (Sorry about rambling) Great photos! I am with Rut, have dog will travel.
Doc

The gas tank is full and ready to go, the dog is loaded in the kennel, I don't know what I would do if I had a day like that with all those roosters, sweet!

Thanks for the reply guys. Rutcrazed - I think the dog in the picture is just over a year old, he is a springer though - he got a haircut because of a bad run in with some burrs the week before - even though he was young he really helped us out, we probably woud have lost about seven birds without him. I would love to have a good gun dog, but I don't really have time for one right now and I'd hate to ruin a dog because I didn't have time for him. Jim - Have fun in Mott, do you know people down there, just wondering - only about 50 miles from our place, we didn't get any sharptails - didn't really look for 'em, did get a few huns though. And to the rest of you guys, we didn't even get to our favorite spots because of the snow, and I probably won't be doing much more bird hunting this year, let me know, there's always some birds around.

Badlandsbuck,
Will you be out this weekend muley hunting? I've got a muley doe tag in 4A and will be there the second weekend hunting with my Dad. It's the first time we've tried it so I'm really looking forward to it. Good luck this weekend.

Powder

Powder, this weekend I'll be hunting does in 3E1 with my wife, we have "any doe" tags so they might be muleys - just not bucks. I've got three years of applying in for 4D for a mule deer buck tag - it will probably take another 1-3 years to draw though. I used to work for the forest service out in the badlands and know my way around pretty good. Where are you from and what part of 4A will you be hunting? I work in Killdeer which is in the SE corner of your unit, I could maybe hook you up with some names, maps, public ground areas if you need 'em.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom