NE Montana

jsc

Me and my dad are planning a Montana whitetail deer/Bird hunt in North eastern Montana. I am curious to know how the deer and upland birds faired with this last winter. I heard that it was a rough winter for Montana all around but I am curious about numbers and what to expect. This is our first trip to this part of Montana and we were thinking of trying around the Culbertson area. Is access on private ground fairly reasonable and how are lodging accomidations for that area. Any information on hunting in this area would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Curt

I'd reconsider right there. I'm sure there's some birds and deer still available, but that particular area was hit extremely hard by the winter last year. Toughest winter in decades. Might want to reconsider most of anything in region 6.

Mid week later in the season you could probably find lodging in Culbertson or plentywood.
Antlerless WT permits? Getting on private land won't be all that difficult.
MT still has a ton of Antlerless WT permits available.
Interesting to see whats left

A rancher I know N of Culbertson tells me the only pheasants that survived the Winter were the ones that got into shelter by building sites and were fed. And hasn't seen a Sharptail all Summer.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-11 AT 08:53AM (MST)[p]You may want to keep an eye on the current EHD outbreak going on across Northeast Montana. Also last I read the FWP was not going to sell the addition anterless WT permits due to the deer herd being decimated between the winter, flooding and EHD outbreak.

There may be pockets of birds but they are not as abundant as in years past. Not saying don't come but this used to be the land of plenty and mother nature is reclaiming alot of that.

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/hunting/nr_1491.html

Nemont

Thanks for all the reply's so far. I hope there are still a few nice deer for us to chase around. Are there any area's up that way that would be bowhunter friendly if we were to try rattling and calling?

Jsc

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom