Neat Public Land Buck

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
Had the opportunity to harvest a unique buck this past weekend and thought I'd share a couple of photos. I finally got to hunt for myself this past weekend after two weeks of elk hunting with my best buddies, uncle and father. Couldn't close the deal on any big elk but we killed some hard-earned bulls (more pics to come). We had a blast in camp and hunted ourselves to exhaustion. This past weekend my buddy Brian, my father and I hit our camp for our season-ending deer hunt. The first day we glassed and hammered my favorite big deer spot and didn't see a deer.... After finding a couple pieces of a recently killed calf elk I figured that a cat had moved in and the deer out. So, Sunday we dropped down in elevation and into some sparse, dry and windy open country. Around 3:30 in the afternoon and in the heat of the day my father and I topped a ridge directly over this deer and a smaller buck. He winded us immediately and I squeezed off one shot at 120 yards as he trotted over the near ridge. I heard a loud WHOP after the shot, saw no dust fly, and watched the buck slow down to a walk as he crested the ridge. Never saw him top out or come out the bottom so you can imagine how pleased I was when I dropped down and found him laying 40 yards over the ridge. That and I'm pretty happy to take this guy out of the gene pool. My old man blew it on a much bigger deer so this was the only deer killed in our camp.
IMG_0140.jpg

The best part was having my hunting mentor and father there at my side as he had been for many other harvests in the past.
IMG_0143.jpg

Though he's not big on score, this is one of the neatest deer I will likely ever kill.

Enjoy,

Cody

www.streamflies.com

Monster forky there--probably a direct result of all those three point or better years!

I don't know why, but I love big forkies... and that is a GIANT forkie. Congrats!!!

nmelktrout..... Very cool buck, Congratulations!!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

As far as im concerned that's just as cool as a big 4x4. Congrats on a great deer.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I feel very fortunate to have harvested such a unique buck. He will make a unique euro mount and hopefully some good eating. Although he didn't have a ton of antler mass, his teeth were very worn, and combined with his body size, I believe he is an older deer. I found a couple of giants, including a 30"+ 3x3 in the same unit this summer but could not find them this past month. I'd never seen this guy until I killed him and was pleased when I walk up on him.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

Great deer, and nothing better than getting it done with your dad, the guy who taught you how to hunt. Way to go.

Some of my most cherished memories are in the field with my pops, glad you guys had a good time together.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom