Nebraska Bighorn

NebrCatMan

Here is a photo of my Bighorn Ram Taken in NW Nebraska. Hope this loads.
9548dscn0012.jpg
This was a permit I won in a resident only lottery. Have only been 18 rams taken since the G & P introduced sheep back into their native range... back in 1998. That is my son Justin in the photo with me. I was truly fortunate to harvest such a magnificent animal.... and to share a father-son moment I'll take to the grave and cherish forever!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-14 AT 05:23PM (MST)[p]Here is another photo... the bluff on the right is where WE first spotted the ram with some ewes shortly after sun-up. We thought they would climb the saddle between the bluffs and get into some fairly rough canyons and trees. So we hiked to the backside and climbed near the top. But instead the ram and ewes came down to open pasture about 1/2 mile in front of the bluffs. So back down we went and made a big loop around them and got below the bunch. We put a stalk on him using a steep washout and I put him down with my 30/06 using a 165gr Hornaday inter-bond cartridge. Before I shot I had to wait for him to clear the ewes. Another ram was with him... a little smaller, not much, and was trying to get near the ewes. The big ram would chase him off and come back to the ewes. One ewe must have been in heat as the big ram mounted her and bred her while I was waiting for a shot. Finally he had enough and pushed the other ram a good ways from the ewes. And another show... the two rams squared off and head butted several times. Pretty hard. On his way back to the ewesI had a clear shot at 110 yards. This was a once in a lifetime Hunt... All I can say is Thank You Lord!!! http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos2/7340dscn0011jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-14 AT 05:32PM (MST)[p]Don't know why the second photo does not want to load....doing it exactly the same as first. Oh well guess one photo will do. Enjoy the story and thanks!!!!

Nice CatMan,
Nebraska is a rare place to find a Bighorn.
You definitely hit the tag lotto!
I love seeing your son in tow.
Congratulations to you both.

Nice luck and pretty ram. I've applied every year they've offered the tag and read the story about your hunt. You beat some long odds to draw the tag 1- 1400 and did well. I enjoy finding some of that herd every year the last 10 years have been tough at times, I hope the disease has run it's course and they can keep them isolated from the domesticated.

Thank you Wyoming and Montana for the bloodline and sheep. May your good luck continue Catman.

Congratulation on your tag and ram.

Here's your 2nd pic. It didn't display because you forgot to type a period before the "jpg".

How long were the horns?

7340dscn0011.jpg

Thanks a bunch for getting that second picture up. I know how to hunt fairly well.... computers, well, let's just say I get by sometimes!! The ram scored unofficially at 167 6/8. The right horn was 34 1/8 in length... the left was 35 1/8. Circumference of base was 14 0/8 for each one. He was "broomed off" quite a bunch the taxidermist said. He only had 5/8 for a deduction. I am no sheep hunter but I am told he was about in the middle of the 18 rams taken over the years here in Nebraska. But for an old man...... he's the biggest trophy I ever took sheep hunting... THE ONLY ONE I ever took sheep hunting. Thanks for all the other congratulations.

That sheep is beautiful.
Fantastic color, chocolate everywhere.
The terrain is unlike anything I have seen sheep in before.
That whole thing is awesome.

72logo.jpg

Congrats NebrCatMan!

I read 'bout your adventure in our local newspaper and on the Game and Parks website. Got a question for ya. Did the G&P biologists give you the option to hunt the herds that reside in the Wildcat Hills? Usually have rutting sheep around 5 miles from our place and have watched and listened to the rams butt heads while firearm deer hunting!

The G & P regulations for the sheep season said all of Banner, Box Butte, Dawes, Morrill, Scotts Bluff, Sheridan and Sioux counties were open to Sheep hunting. It's in the 2014 Big Game booklet. However the biologist said the rams at the Fort were the oldest and in their opinion were the largest. They really wanted to find a 13 year old that they said was bigger yet... but he was not seen in last years rut and they feared he had died. But he showed up in July of this year while the assistants were scouting for sheep. They hoped he would show during this years rut and hopefully give me a chance at harvesting him (the 13 year old). But we could not find him and they think there is a good chance he has died... don't know for sure. My ram at 12 years old had hardly any teeth and was sure to start going down hill. There will be 2 hunters in the field next year. A resident lottery winner and an auction winner...I don't know where the tag will be auctioned but Todd Nordeen at the Alliance G&P office mite know. You can bet I will put my son in for this years (2015) lottery... hope my lucky streak continues. Would that not be a blessing to become the first Father-Son team to take a sheep in Nebraska back to back....can only hope and pray!!!

I sure enjoy seein sheep in that country! Congrats on a great ram and thanx for sharein your story and pics!

Thanks for all the comments. I was checking the progress of this years Nebraska Bighorn Sheep tag that was up for auction on the Wild Sheep Foundation's webb site. The auction was over and the bid that won the tag was for $130,000. That money will go along ways for helping re-establish sheep in Nebraska.... maybe even help fund a way some one can discover to beat the pneumonia bug that hinders that goal. I know the winner will have a super hunt and when I was there on my sheep hunt in Dec. 2014 there were several rams just about like mine. Should be bigger next year... hopefully break that 180" mark pretty easily. Here is a link to the webb site for the winning bid.... http://bid.wildsheepfoundation.org/NEBRASKA-GAME-AND-PARKS-2015-BIGHORN-SHEEP-TAG_i21233452

Just a reminder for all those Nebraska resident who frequent monstermuleys and want to apply for this years sheep permit lottery. Your application must be in by Aug. 7th. $25 non-refundable fee...... money goes toward getting the numbers up and the sheep established in more areas of the NW part of the state. I seen first hand the results of work so far.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom