Nebraska Muzzeloader Season

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
Well out of my better judgement I grabbed a late season muzzeloader tag for Nebraska here a few days ago. I’ve hunted Pine Ridge enough times to know what’s what in that area but now days it’s in a mule deer conservation area so off limits ……. I’m kinda torn between about 3 different areas, Cresent Lake, Scottsbluff, or the Sandhills near Valentine. Anybody with any input would be great as to which area I should concentrate on ? I have zero interest in whitetails, decent mule deer or I’m fine with eating the tag as I’ve ate a few in the past in the Ridge ! Thanks

Will be very tough hunting on all three, mainly due to pressure. Your best option, imo, is to focus on the smaller pieces of public and try to gain private permission while you are out here. There are still some smaller landowners that will permit access. The local cafes and bars are fantastic places to meet them... Good luck.

Will be very tough hunting on all three, mainly due to pressure. Your best option, imo, is to focus on the smaller pieces of public and try to gain private permission while you are out here. There are still some smaller landowners that will permit access. The local cafes and bars are fantastic places to meet them... Good luck.
You’re spot on, I’ve dealt with the pressure out there many times both rifle and late season. Going to definitely start my hunt on a week day not the weekend. Good advice on the smaller more over looked chunks ! Thanks

I’ve thought about this, but having never killed a whitetail I think I would be more focused on that then on mule deer seems like a fun hunt

If I had any info on that area, I'd share it with you. Good luck and post some kool pics!

This year, I've got a Frenchman MDCA tag. Hoping for a muley myself, but if a big WT comes by, he gets a free ride in my truck!

If I had any info on that area, I'd share it with you. Good luck and post some kool pics!

This year, I've got a Frenchman MDCA tag. Hoping for a muley myself, but if a big WT comes by, he gets a free ride in my truck!
Thanks Joe ! I hope you do well down there , I’ll definitely take a bunch of pics and post what I find on here.

Wherever you wind up, I hope the weather cooperates for you. I've done those late m/l hunts on private land in both Nebraska and South Dakota. In my experience the deer are skittish as hell and almost exclusively nocturnal after the rifle hunt and the rut. If it's not bitterly cold and/or snowy it can be very frustrating.

Wherever you wind up, I hope the weather cooperates for you. I've done those late m/l hunts on private land in both Nebraska and South Dakota. In my experience the deer are skittish as hell and almost exclusively nocturnal after the rifle hunt and the rut. If it's not bitterly cold and/or snowy it can be very frustrating.
You’re right on that, snow and cold is a must as I’ve done this hunt in the Pine Ridge in the past…… and ate the tags too ! The good thing is I’m flexible when I go.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom