Need a 1x scope for my muzzleloader???

Bill_in_MI

I shoot out to 225 yards with my full length Omega which has a 3x9 Nikon on it with the muzzy BDC. I don't think I want to remove the scope for the sake of a single hunt in UT as this is my 'go to' firearm at home and is dialed in. So I thought I'd just outfit my wife's Omega X7 (shorter barrel) that currently has a factory peep sight.

Need recommendations for a 1x scope for my omega x7 but I'm wondering if a 1x tube will be an asset. Peep vs. 1x? Obviously I'd like to maximize my range but I doubt I'd be as accurate without 9x at 200 yards so the decreased range/velocity of the shorter/handier X7 would probably be great when I draw this tag (all crossable appendages appropriately crossed).

Thoughts?

Thx
Bill

A peep sight can be amazingly accurate if your eyes are up to it. I don't have good enough contrast when getting out past 100 yards and that is where the scope seems to make the difference. Take the beast out to the range and see how the peep works for you and then decide whether the scope is what you want. If it is, than same rules as for other scopes, go for quality (What will that big buck to worth to hit--or what will you have been willing to pay to redo the shot if you missed? lol).

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-12 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p]Depends on your eyes. In Nebraska 2 years ago we went any scope you want on a muzzleloader. I have a 1x I'll have to check what kind bought at Cabelas if your interested I'll sell it cheap $40.00 PM me if interested I used it one year.

Looking threw a 1x made things look farther away for me. I went with a red dot scope. It is another option for you.

Another thing related to open or peep sights... The use of your dominant eye makes all the difference. A lot of right handed people, shooting right handed, with left eye dominance. I am one of them, though my bows are left handed to take advantage of the dominant eye when using sights (instinctive shooting with both eyes open makes it moot). If your shooting cross dominance, a scope will probably work better for you.

I have the simmons 1x, I have looked thru alot of 1X scopes and the Simmons had the x hairs that was the thinner of all them so it didn't cover up so much of the animal at 200 yd.
I have friends back east that put quick-disconnect ring on their ML so they can change from their 3x9 scopes to the 1X scopes for utah.They swear by them.
Good luck hope you find one that you like.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thompson center hawkenhunter 1 x 32mm. fine crosshair. I thing they run about $125. Best 1x scope for a muzzleloader IMO

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom