Need a good in-line

kicker

I'm in the market to buy a good in-line muzzleloader in a .50 or .54 caliber. I want it to be as accurate as possible and easy to use. What's your recommendation???

I've owned a T/C Black Diamond now for about 4 years and if I had to do it all over again I buy another one. I've really enjoyed the gun. Shoots great, 295 gr Powerbelt pushed by 110 gr of Pyrodex RS. I hunted with an outfitter this past fall and he was so impressed with the gun he has recommended it to his muzzle loading clients.

Remember the key to any gun shooting good is taking the time to work up the proper load for that gun and practice, practice, practice!

Good Luck!

The best muzzleloader out there is the one that fits you. It does not matter how accurate a muzzleloader can be, you will never rich it's full potential if it does not feel right to you.

Viking_Six gave a good recommendation on the T/C Black Diamond. I thought really hard about getting one last year. The only thing that stopped me was the stock was to short for me. Every time I raised the gun to my shoulder my left hand naturally be placed just in front of the stock and grab the barrel.

I ended up buying a Knight MK-85 and really enjoyed shooting it over the past year. With the right load I have been able to get 3 shot groups under 1 1/2" at 100 yards (Open sights). Knight has several rifles out there, so you good probably get one the fit you stile.

Whatever muzzleloader you decide to get make sure you have plenty of time to work up a load. It will amaze you how going for one round to the next will affect your groupings.

Good luck and enjoy.

400bull

My t/c blackdiamond (Super .45 cal) worked just fine with only prbullets (QT polymer spitzers)but only after a handful of fouling shots.

But, I'm not all that happy with it anymore. It only seems to like sabots. All conicals I've tried so far don't group. It's not legal for Elk in most states. They're 1:20 twist isn't versatile like a .50 cal's 1:28 except for super heavy conicals that are really long.

Wondering why I was so limited (plus it took about 5 fouling shots to start getting good groups), I called T/C.

They're barrel tolerances on that model vary from .451 to .453 -- that's an aweful lot of slop if you ask me.

I had a gunsmith look at it and he said a few things:
--barrel had a lot of variation in it (bullet seemed to drop through a 1 inch section indicating it was bubbled there.
--was oblong in one spot underneath the rear sight
--the button's cut across the rifling in a couple of places

Things I found:
--the front sight and thimble worked it's way loose in less than 100 shots...I don't think they loc-tite'd those
--Trigger group is alright but nothing special
--The rear sight wasn't properly aligned over the center of the bore

So, I've sent it back to Cabela's and will be using the credit for a .50 Remington 700. I've heard nothing but good things and have seen 2 that were real tack drivers.

Good Luck!

Bill

50 cal. Rem. 700. great gun.
Thought about picking up a new T/C, just to have one.
I'm borrowing a budies Night this fall, and my daughter is taking my rem. and we're headed to Colorado to hunt elk.
Have you guys tried the new triple 7 by Pyrodex.
You can't belive the difference.
Pack them tight. Smack them on the mark.
Have a safe hunt this year.

I've found with my T/C Black Diamond that it works best if I clean in between every shot. So even in the field I carry a small spray bottle of windex and some patches. If I'm forced to take a second shot without cleaning I know I'm going to hit about 2inches high and right at 100 yards.

I've been able to group under 2 inches at 100 yards by doing this, but only after going to loose pyrodex RS powder (I'd been using pellets before). Now I shoot 295 (I can also use 348 gr) Powerbelt bullets and 110 gr of pyrodex RS powder.

The one problem I've had is with the plastic tru glo insert in my front sight. I've had to replace it three times. T/C has done an outstanding job of sending me free replacements in a very timely manner. The last time the sent me an entire front site in hopes that it would solve my problem.

I HAVE GOT A RUGER 50 CAL. MUZZLELOADER. THEY ARE KIND OF PRICEY BUT WORTH IT. IT TOOK A FEW ATTEMPTS TO FIND THE RIGHT BULLET FOR THE GUN, BUT IT SHOOTS REALLY GOOD KNOW.

Viking, am glad to her that your T/C is treating you well. I also use the same gun. Over the past three years I have been very pleased with it accuracy. However, I last year on opening morning I realized that my plastic tru glo on the front sight was broken. How did you get T/C to replace it?

If using pyrodex pelets, how many do you use? and what grain do you prefer?

borntohunt

borntohunt-

All you have to do is contact their customer service folks on line and tell them the trouble and they'll send you a new insert. I'd be very specific about the type of ML, year you purchased and describe the sight. I've had three of them break on me now so the last time they sent me a whole new front site. It's almost like the sight that the insert fits into has too sharp an edge and causes the insert to crack.

Just email [email protected], they've usually responded within a couple of days and you should have your replacement insert in a matter of a week or two.

I started out using Pyrodex Pellets, but Bluelk convinced me that going with loose powder was pretty much the only way to go. I've since gone strictly to loose powder and I'm currently using 110 gr Pyrodex RS. It's greatly improved my consistency and accuracy, I'd highly recommend it.

Try the Austin & Halleck. That SOB is one accurate muzzleloader. I had one and wish I would not have sold it. (dumb ass) Iyt is a little barrel heavy but man what a gun!!

Muzz,

I was hunting with a guy this past fall that had an Austin & Halleck and he said exactly the same thing. Loved the gun, and it was pretty, but it was much heavier to tote around than my T/C Black Diamond (synthetic stock).

Hey Kicker, Did you find a gun, one thing to think about before buying is the ignition system, as some states allow 209 primers for hunting, and as in Idaho they do not, so im kinda partial to a 3 way ingnition system, which will allow me to use the gun in other states. Also think about the caliber, Idaho allows a 45 cal for deer, but for elk you must use a minimum 50 caliber, so I would again opt for more versatility. assuming you will hunt with the gun. I really like the look and feel of the new Knight thumb hole stock disk extreme, but again made only to shoot 209 primers, as are a lot of other great guns out there now.

I'm eagerly awaiting my new TC Omega 50 cal. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. Talking to the designer at the Shot Show in Vegas made me realize that there are a lot of special features in this new rifle that are especially important to pellet shooters. I ordered my new baby in stainless steel with the coolest laminated synthetic stock.
Rich

MuleFever,

I just bought the Master Hunter Disk Extreme and you are correct that they only shoot the 209 as they come, but you if talk with anyone at Knight they will tell you that for about $150 you can buy a new bolt and breech plug and you can then shoot the older disk system (not the full plastic) which you can then shoot the 209 or #11. I know it is an extra $150 but you can buy this later on when you need it. I just really liked the looks of the thumbhole laminated stock and I understand that it is hard to find one that will shoot better.

Anyway I hope this helps

BearCat

My buddy has his shooting about 2" groups(200yds) with a scope He change it to peeps to get ready for Utah still shooting 3" groups(200yds) that gun is a shooter.

Just got off the line with Gunshop trying to get the new Omega .50 cal. they have over 3000 of them backordered maybe a late July or early Aug. Well I'm guess I will not be hunting with it this year if I get one bought. IF ANY OF YOU HAVE A LEAD ON A OMEGA PLEASE E-MAIL ME. Thanks

Gator,

Have you looked at the Knight Master Hunter Disk Extreme. This might be another option. It is a great looking gun and extremely accurate.

BearCat

I own an A&H and could not believe the accuracy of the thing. It is heavy but Im not a little boy, and its a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. Austin and halleck has really made one of the top of the line ML's in my book.
Bugler

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom