Need a little help

BenHuntn

Does anyone know if a youth can get a deer tag after the main draw? My friend that is going deer hunting with me this year wants to know for his grandson. I have never put in for the secondary draw and don't know if the kid will have much of a chance to draw a unit 3 3rd season tag. He is a non-resident. Thanks in advance

Julius

Does anyone know if a youth can get a deer tag after the main draw? My friend that is going deer hunting with me this year wants to know for his grandson. I have never put in for the secondary draw and don't know if the kid will have much of a chance to draw a unit 3 3rd season tag. He is a non-resident. Thanks in advance

Julius
This is straight out of the brochure. The new system provides preference for youth hunters. Youth hunters have 100% preference in the secondary draw. What does this mean? The secondary draw processes all youth application choices prior to processing adult choices. A hunt could be completely drawn by youth before the adult application stage of the draw.

Good news for BenH, but I predict there will be a lot less secondary applications overall since it is mostly a waste of money for adults. Yes, in certain units with a decent number of tags available, an adult may draw, but in mid to higher tier units with only a few tags, adults applications never actually get in the drawing. So don’t even be thinking “so there is a chance” on a choice tag, because there isn't. An adults chance is literally zero.

And since I have already contributed so much to CPW, I will abstain.

Good news for BenH, but I predict there will be a lot less secondary applications overall since it is mostly a waste of money for adults. Yes, in certain units with a decent number of tags available, an adult may draw, but in mid to higher tier units with only a few tags, adults applications never actually get in the drawing. So don’t even be thinking “so there is a chance” on a choice tag, because there isn't. An adults chance is literally zero.

And since I have already contributed so much to CPW, I will abstain.
I agree a lot of adults didn’t know about the youth preference last year. And this year a lot of adults won’t take the chance and waste their money.?

It's not all that much money.... my kids struck out on the random in New mexico, not enough points to draw in Wyoming, points creep in Colorado. We live here. I'm very thankful for the youth allocation.

For kids, it’s well worth applying. Go for it! Each of them can put down 4 choices. All of those are considered before you and I get a bean in the pot.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom