Need a new set of tires

400bull

Very Active Member
I need some suggestions on a new set tires for my truck. I'm currently running Toyos Open Country A/T and have not been happy with the tire. They run great on the highway and the tread life has been fantastic. But for whatever reason I just cannot get them to get any traction in snow or mud. After nearly sliding off the road for the second time this winter I am done with the Open County's. I have had the BFG A/T in the past and was happy with them. I leaning towards getting another set but wanted to see if there was something else that I need to look at.

400bull

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-13 AT 04:26PM (MST)[p]The BFG A/T are IMO the best all terrain tire. Yes they are a little pricey but they work well and wear well. I have the BFG mud terrain and love them but they don't wear as well as the AT. Another thing to consider is the size of tire you are running. What size are you running?

I am not sure on the specifics, but my next set will be Pro Comp all terrains.From what I have seen in my research, they get great traction for an all terrain. Also they get great mileage. However they do seem a little spendy.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I think if you dig through the campfire forum you will find a thread about tires from a few months ago

If you like the bfg AT look at the General grabber AT2 nearly identical tire for less money. I put a set on my last truck at 14000 and when I traded it at 49000 they were still good enough I didn't get the "we'll have to put new tires on it" speal from the salesman.

Real happy with the BFG A/T'a I have on my Duramax. Another one to look at is the Hankook Dynapro ATM10. Everyone I talk to that has them really likes them. Online reviews are really good also.

Goodyear Duratraks are the best there is.

I've had the Toyo's & BFG AT's and these are both decent tires. In fact, I really like the BFG AT's in soft sand & they are ok in snow, but horrible in mud. I agree with the comments on the Toyo's.

These Duratraks are truly awesome tires. Any All Terrain is a compromise. No tire that is great in snow will be great in mud & visa versa, however the duratrak is by far the best tire I have ever used that is really good at both. For mileage/longeviety they seem to be better than the BFG's, and probably less than the Toyo's.

I've been getting my tires from an outfit in Hot Springs, South Dakota. It's called TreadWright Tires. I've sure had good luck with them. They have lots of tread types and are WAY cheaper than any other source. But they are recaps. Mine have always stayed balanced and they wear well and grip super.

They will put either crushed walnut shells or crushed glass in the tread to enhance traction. I think their website is treadwright.com, but you could also google them. Have lots of friends that use them and have never heard a complaint.

Just another option.

BFG AT's are good tires. However, I put Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's on mine. I think they are the tires that the BFG's were when they came out years ago. I vote for the new technology in the Duratrac over the BFG's.

Great on-road tires and unbelievable off-road. Hunting in NM a month ago, I could go places with those tires that took most guys 4 chains to get through.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-13 AT 08:46PM (MST)[p]I had on, 5 years +, Nitto Terra Grapplers. Great all around tire, couldn't hardly ask for better unless way more traction needed. These were on the truck when i bought it but around $900. a set.

I now have, 1 full year plus, Nitto Trail Grapplers. A more aggressive tire, they still look like new, i'm very satisfied with them and would recommend either tire for both durability and value.For these, 33X16, i paid a little over $1000. for the set on line, free shipping to my tire guy.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-13 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]My '05 F350 is currently wearing the Nitto Terra Grapplers (295-18,34") already mentioned above. Been on there about a year and a half and wearing well. So far I've been impressed with them on highway, mud and snow. Seems like they ran about $1100 out the door for the set so a bit less than the BFG's.

I've also had the Treadwright's mentioned (e-rated BFG AT carcass with similar looking tread) didn't have much luck with them. My truck ate up the first set in about 12,000 miles which were replaced (pro-rated) under warranty. One of the replacement set (also starting to wear prematurely)blew out on me going about 65 mph and wiped out the side of my truck bed. Customer service guy went above and beyond in refunding the entire cost of the second set of tires even when he didn't need to. Of course I ended up paying the insurance deductible. So no more recaps for me!

Good luck, there's lot of good choices out there.

When I have clients in town the last thing I want is to be messing with tires. Like it has been said before, it is hard to find a great tire for snow and mud and there are some great tires on the market today. I think the BFG A/T is a decent tire but I run a lot of rock country and seems I was always getting flats, even when the tires where new. I put a ton of miles on my rigs traveling to hunting areas and when I get there the roads are not usually nice. I run the Toyo M55 and really like them, they are not a real aggressive tire but they do great on the highway and they motor through the snow, they seam to clean out in the mud decent. Nock on wood I never have flats with them on all the sharp rock I put them through, you can also stud them. I will put some big loads on them as well and they handle them great.

Good luck with your decision,

Tee Hover
www.coldnosedoutfitters.com
www.facebook.com/coldnosedoutfitters

Another vote for the Terra Grapplers here.

Also love the BFG's but the TG's are a little cheaper and so far they are performing quite well.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

I put Goodyear Duratrac's on my Tacoma this year and they are great! Here in NM the roads get real bad and they go thru anything,mud,snow,ice,rocks etc. Had Michelins on for years but Duratracs are much better for most of my driving as most roads where I am are dirt,and they ride on pavement well too. Have to find the right pressure for the vehicle and conditions,but locals have them on big trucks too. Local garage ordered them and installed for less than $800...

I put GoodYear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar tires 265/75/R16 on my F 350 they are the best tires I've had on that truck. Crew cab with 8' bed needs a real good tire to get around off road !!!!

CaHunter,

I am currently running 285/70/17 on my Dodge.

I don't want to say that money is not an issue because it always is, where I don't have to replace my current set immediately I have time to save up for whatever is going to work out the best. From the sound of things I need to at least look at the following tires BFG KO A/Ts, Goodyear Duratac?s, and the Terra Grapplers. I will probably also look and the Hankooks also. I have a neighbor that has them on his work truck, he does yard work for a side job and puts a few miles on his truck each year. They seem to be holding up just fine for him.

400bull

I recently got some Goodyear Wrangler Duratrecs. Only have a few hundred miles so far, but they are great in the snow and dirt. A little louder than BFG ATs on the road but not as bad as BFG Mud Terrains.

I would also recommend looking at the new Toyo Open Country AT II. They are now more aggressive than the previous version and some size are "xtreme" and look really nice.

Ok 400bull
Your are talking about traction in mud and snow ! Then you are talking about all terrian tires. You need to get a mud and snow tire ! I have used BFG's mud t/a's since the have come out. They are a great mud and snow tire. They are a little loud for some. In my wife's excersion I put on the A/T's because it has a tv in it ect. I wanted a quieter tire. They do ok in most cases, but pack up with mud and snow. When the going gets tough and you need to get out of a slick spot ether mud or snow. Then you need a good mud terrain tire.
I am running Nitto's trail grappler M/T's now on my truck with a E rating because I tow . Bfg's only come in a D. I run the BFG's mud terrians on my jeep. A set of 35's for inspection time and a set of 37's on bead locks.
I do drive my truck on the street every day and dont need a big mud tire around town. But when I get into snow or mud, I am glad I have them !

I have run many sets of BFG AT. I always do the range E. I have run them for 250,000 miles with zero flats. The old Dodge Cummins weighs a ton. I always have four chains on board for the tough spots. They have been on a couple time in the last year. Might not be the greatest traction tire out there but I think it is the best tire.

DZ

I used to be a BFG A/T man. But recently switched to General Grabber AT2. I have been very happy with the switch. I run them on my 3/4 ton GMC and on my wifes Blazer.

toyo has a new open country at II more agressive tread than the regular at. Toyo says you get 55,000 out of them. I have bfg mud terrain on my f-350 and when they start to wear forget it you can't save them no matter how much you rotate them, and they are loud as hell!! My buddy is running the new toyo at II on his F-350 they ride nice and are queit. Thats my next set of tires for sure.

Had the same question, got down to Duratracs and BFG/at. Went with the goodyears because they were on a sale and were $10 less per tire. Tire shop guy said they were by far the two best tires they sold(sold everything) for non mudtires for off road. I love them, plus for and aggresive tread, they are suprisingly quiet.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

I run the Toyo M/T's November thru mid-May and then switch to the A/T's mid-May thru October.

With my F350, they are E load range/rated.

I am getting about 65,000---70,000 miles doing the rotation this way and that is about the time frame (5 years) I get a new truck anyways.

I just put the factory brand new tires (that came with the truck new) on when I sell or trade-in.

Robb

Members Stinkbug and 6speed are correct . If you're a BFG fan , you may also want to consider General Grabber AT2 ... Procomp to spendy , soft tire and the tread lugs have a tendency to tear off . I've used BFG a lot , then switched to General Grabber AT2 . 60k mile warranty , less money than BFG and wear a lot longer . Great in snow/mud and ride great on Highway . I've got over 60k miles on my General Grabber AT2 , and most the driving has actually been on rugged dirt roads .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom