Need a new tripod guys

thepenquin

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-07 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]Need a tripod guys"
LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-07 AT 09:03 AM (MST)
I've been going through searches on tripods here at MM and reading multiple posts about them. Here is my situation.

Just got a Nikon 20-60-80 spotter from Doug at Camerland. "Thanks Doug". I want a good tripod for it. I'm wanting to spend $100-150. Is this a possible? I won't be packing it much, but would like something around 4-5 pounds. Something heavy and strong enough for this scope that won't give it the wiggle factor.

It would be nice if it would go high enough to spot while standing if there is one that will in this price range.

Where would be the place to buy a velbon, slik, or bogen/manfrotto online?

Thanks for any pointers. Anything will be better than the cheesy ones I've used form Wally World.

Fire away.

I got the Velbon Ultra Max IF from Doug at Camera Land. I like it. Real lightweight....around 2lb. Not super great in wind, but works well for me on backpack trips.
I think Velbon makes some larger (heavier) versions. Call Doug and see what he can get for you.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I just bought a bogan. I love it, althought it is on the heavy side. I paid $125 for it off of ebay. It was "slightly used" but I cant find anything wrong with it. Not even a scratch.

Mid weight-the Manfrotto (Bogen) 3001BD. Lightweight-The Outdoorsmans Tripod(comes in 2 or 3 leg versions). The Outdoorsmans lightweight pitol grip head is also very nice. I use both for my Zeiss 60s and Leica Duovids interchangably and am very happy. Good luck.

Wade
hardcoreoutdoor.com

Actually the marketing geniuses at Manfrotto (Bogen) have replaced the 3001BD with two models, the 190XB (black) and 190XV (green). About 4lbs, 3 section legs with clamps. These are the same specs as the old one.

Wade
hardcoreoutdoor.com

Manfrotto only! I had cheaper models that shook and moved etc. Now for about $239 I have a simple pistol grip that you sqeeze to move all directions and it locks tight. It goes up to around six and a half feet high with no moving in the wind. Last one I will ever have to buy. Just wish I had not wasted over $200 on the cheaper ones before it.

Tony

I now have a sweet set up. I bought the manfrotto 714SHB Digi tripod last year. I then bought a zeiss 20-60x85mm diascope and the head on the old tripod just wasnt strong enough. I picked up a 486RC2 manfrotto tripod head and modified my old tripod to fit the new head. Works awesome now and i am actually really surprised at how well it works. I will now stick with this tripod for everything. Weight of the tripod comes in just over a couple pounds with the new head. That brings the total set up to around 5 lbs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom