Need Ammo info..(300 win mag, deer/elk load)

T

tshuntin

Hey folks, For the first time in about 10 years I am rifle hutnign this year instead of muzz. I will be hunting deer and possibly elk with my 300 win mag. I would like to stay with the same load/bullet for both animals for accuracy reasons. My Dad has recommened I use the "Barnes Triple shock x" bullets in 180 grain. What are your thoughts on this and/or other options?? My dad is who loads my bullets and he is very accurate and very into reloading and feels that is the best choice. I want whatever is best for both game. I want to get one and stick with it. If there is a factory premium cartridge that is super great, that could be an option too. Thanks, Travis

Thats what I shoot in my .300 Ultra Mag. Killer combo. that bullet has a great B.C. also. I highly recomend it.

In a factory load, I've had good luck with Winchester Fail Safe in 180 gr. I've taken a caribou, a mule deer, two antelope and several blacktails. With 100% weight retention, it seems to waste less meat than others I've tried.

I'm no expert on bullets, and don't reload. Just passing along what has worked for me.

Steve

It would be very hard for you to go wrong with almost any load for the .300 win. I load for my friends using plain old hornady 180's, and they have worked well on deer and elk. I shoot the TSX bullet in my weatherby and they are quite accurate for such a tough bullet, and they are made right here in Utah!!!!!Good luck on your rifle hunt.......(unless your hunting by me, then push em my way, K)

If you are using factory loads, get as many boxes of different bullets as you can afford, shoot them at the bench, then use the one that works best in your rifle. Any factory loaded bullet available should be effective on game. The key is using the most accurate one. mtmuley

May I suggest using speer gameking on the deer, and trophy bonded bear claw. on the elk. Federal loads both.

I don't think you can beat the Nosler Partition.
My weatherby 300 win mag eats 180 gr Noslers. Very accurate and more than enough power to get the job done. And as AZBuckSnort points out, the 180 grain Sierra makes a great plinker. The Gameking is much cheaper. I use them for target practice and switch to the Partition for hunting. They have the same point of impact. No changes needed.

I think the Accubond, Interbond and Scirrocos are a really good choice when hunting both deer and elk. The 180 grainers are a lot of bullet for a deer, but the design of pushing the polymer tip back to start the bullet expanding will ensure that it opens up. The fact that they're bonded makes them sturdy enough for elk.

And from what I've read, that type of bullet shoots a little flatter and tends to be really accurate in a lot of rifles, too.

I'm not shooting any elk this year, so I'm trying some of the lighter interbonds from hornady. I'll let you know how they work. If they're really accurate though, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a 165 grain bonded bullet at an elk.

Good luck deciding. I'm sure most modern bullets will do fine. You have all your options open, too since your pops reloads.

WH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom