Need help on Montana unit 631

bigjake

Hey guys, I drew an archery elk tag for unit 631 in Montana. I applied for the area because I will be hunting whitetail on the Milk River outside of Glaskow in November. Trouble is I don't know where the elk hang out, and could use some advice. I plan on spending 5 days the last week of September and then another weekend in October if needed. The research I have done so far has taught me the area is a nightmare when the roads are wet and that a lot of people like accessing the area from the resovoir. Is that a good idea, bad idea...? I enjoy the challenge of self guided hunts, but I'm not completely opposed to some semi-guided stuff. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Area 631 is extremely rugged, especially when the rain fall has been abundant. It is a lot of work, but there are a few nice bulls. I suggest getting a local outfitter to help you out. There are some guys in Glasgow that know the area really well. One guy is known as the "town drunk", but if you can keep him off the bottle he can really get you into the animals. I suggest a scouting trip early in the season with plans to hunt later during the rut. Plan on putting many many miles under on your boots, but with a good hunting partner and some luck you could really get into a nice 150 class bull.

>
> One guy is known
>as the "town drunk", but
>if you can keep him
>off the bottle he can
>really get you into the
>animals. I suggest a
>scouting trip early in the
>season with plans to hunt
>later during the rut. Plan
>on putting many many miles
>under on your boots, but
>with a good hunting partner
>and some luck you could
>really get into a nice
>150 class bull.

Wow, a town drunk and 150 class bulls-maybe the area isn't as good as I have heard, eh? Not sure about hiring a drunk as a guide and I hope you meant "350" class bull rather than "150".

P.S.-are you really Hank Williams Jr?

I actually meant 150" bull, but that refers to each antler. I know that isn't how people usually call it, but where I am from we do things a little differently. For example, just yesterday I wired my toilet handle to the light in my bedroom- so when I flush the light automatically goes on, and I can see getting into bed. Ingenious right? Anyway, the elk in that area are fairly tough to hunt, but it can be a great time. Leave your call at home, practice long range bow shots, and plan on doing a lot of hiking. I suggest taking some frozen twinkies along just in case you need an energy burst. Good luck!

-Bosephus

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom