Need Help With 2004 Dall Hunt

dreamer

I am going to fulfill my lifelong dream of hunting dall sheep in 2004! I want to hunt in NWT, Yukon, or Alaska. I prefer to hunt where I will have the option to kill a mountain caribou or a moose on a trophy fee basis while hunting dall. I welcome any suggestions for a great outfitter. Thanks in advance.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-03 AT 05:59AM (MST)[p] If you are serious about the Mountain Caribou, that rules out Alaska as there is only Barren Ground Caribou there.
I too have been researching Dall hunts and what I feel is this,
Alaska will cost you less, but the average ram in Alaska isn't as good as in years past.You might consider trying to draw a tag in one of the draw areas of the state, however you may have missed the deadline for '04.
I think the average ram in Canada might be a little better,if you are willing to spend more money.
The Foundation for Wild Sheep is holding their convention in Reno Nev. the second week of January. I would highly recommend you attend! It will show you MANY options that are available.
Dozens of top flight sheep guides and outfitters will be there!It is one of the best shows around not just for sheep, but for all western big game!
The S.C.I. show will be in Reno the wekk after the sheep show, it is the granddaddy of all hunting shows!
I have gone to both for over 20 years! there is a wealth if information to be had there!
GOOD LUCK!

For your Gee Whiz file. I hunted with Arctic Red River in the NWT and they are defenitely "one" of the very best. They average around 38", 10-11 year old rams and have some booner Mt. Caribou.They run a great outfit for backpack hunts.

As HH mentions it may be well worth the trip to Reno and visit with all the outfitters. There are several that are good.

One more thing.... you may have a hard time getting booked for 04 with the really good ones. I think Arctic Red is booked 3-4 out. You could always ask about a cancelation hunt. Good luck in your quest.. you wont be sorry you did it. Cal

CB,
I sent you a private message.
Thanks Mike

Best of luck to whomever chases those beautiful Rams.

Call Jack Atcheson Jr. He has some very interesting information on Dall sheep hunting (particularly the hunts in the Yukon and NWT).

Agree with one of the above posts, that the better Outfitters are generally booked up at least a year in advance. The Outfitter I went with is booked 3 years in advance and never advertises or use a booking agent, just hunts sheep and books by word of mouth. Most of NWT Outfitters are 1st class. Also as others have stated it is well worth your time and expense to go to the FNAWS Convention. Less than $20 bucks a day for a day pass that allows you to attend the exhibits. Been to all in NV since "82. Leaving next week.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

RE: Jack Atcheson, Jr.?

His address is 3210 Ottow st. Butte Mt.
I don't heve his ph # I think he still has a website though.
Try a google search,I think you will find his site.
His dad was one of the original booking agents.
Jack Jr. is a sheep fanatic of the highest order.

If you are serious about a good dall sheep ram......all the while being in big moose and caribou country too ....

My personal suggestion would be to look no further than Lancaster's Nahanni Butte Outfitters.

I had the fortune to spend a summer in the aquaintance of the previous owner of Nahanni Butte, Greg Williams before he sold to Lancaster's a couple years ago as well as a guide who worked up there. Its phenomenal hunting !!

That being said, you need to look at all outfits and pick one that best fits your needs and judgement.

There are many good outfits you can't go wrong with. To be serious about a big dall ram, you can't go wrong with either the NWT or Yukon.

I suggest you go on the internet and view the numerous outfitters available on the internet at

BC Guide Outfitters Association website which has the Yukon and NWT listings as well. All the outfits have a contact number and many have website links.

http://www.goabc.org/

To get what you want to look at ... click "BC hunting" on the left column ...... you will see a map of BC regions along with the Yukon and NWT circle at the top .... click either one of them that interests you ......... you will see another page and on that left ... click to see preview of the outfitters ...... in that list are among the best outfits up there and I'm sure you will have no problem starting your search for a good hunt. Most of them have links to their own web pages.

Good hunting.

Lancaster's Nahanni Butte Outfitters have video's of some of their hunts and what beatiful country full of game. Check out their videos.

Jason

The Lancasters are good people!
A close friend of mine has taken two big stone sheep with them.
He has had nothing but good things to say about them.

See the post on page 2 of this forum entitled "Dall Sheep Pics". You'll see a couple of endordements for a very reputable outfitter in Alaska, Ellis Big Game Guides.

You can combine moose on a sheep hunt but I don't know that they do it on a trophy fee basis. I think they prefer that you book a combination hunt.

I echo the sentiments of others. Booking now for 2004 may be tough. At least that was my experience when I booked my sheep hunt. Two years out was generally the minimum.

Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom