Need help with Mountain Goat mount!!!!

SDBugler

Very Active Member
My taxi is ready to start working on my full body pedestal mount for my 2011 mountain goat.
I know what pose I want and we are going to get a form picked out in the next couple days.
Since this may be the only goat I ever harvest, let alone get mounted, I want to make sure I do it right.
My questions for all of you:

1.) This billy has HUGE glands (almost to the point of being ugly). Would you suggest replicating them as they were, or trying to reduce them. Do you think they detract from the horns? I haven't seen a mount done yet with glands that large.
2.) This billy had about an inch of horn broken off his right side. Would you suggest repairing this to match his right side to show his true potential or leave it broken as harvested. (I knew before shooting him that he had a broken horn and it didn't break off in the tumble)
3.) Most manikins that I have seen have the ?cute? concave shaped face/nose of a younger goat. This billy had a wide roman nose and had the horse shaped face of an older billy. What are your opinions on modifying the face to make it look more like the actual goat? I am concerned that people might think it is a bad taxi job if I did the roman nose & hose face since most people think of goats having the typical ?cute? face.

I attached some pictures for reference.

Please give me your honest opinions. I don't want to screw up what might be my only chance at a beautiful goat mount.
Thanks.
Brian

Live photo
9355img_3856.jpg

Side view
8325img_3858.jpg

Front view
637img_3863.jpg

2133img_3875.jpg

My opinion.......get rid of those nasty looking scent glands. I would repair the horn but I know a lot would leave it. A good taxidermist should be able to replicate the mold to the actual look of the goat. He has a great head on him and I would want it to look that way.

LAST EDITED ON May-24-12 AT 02:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-24-12 AT 02:02?PM (MST)

i would keep that big nose he has fur sure. its a tough call for the broken horn, i like to keep mine antlers/horns the way i harvested the animal.

one idea for finding a mount is go to google. type in google advanced image search. this google features allows you to only search and look at pictures. so type in mountain goat mounts and maybe you will find an idea.

here is an idea i found for my mount that i am getting done. expect the rocks will be a differnt color to match the rocks where i shot my goat. i am doing a half mount like this. also with out the stick with the bird
00small53005903.jpg

Have your taxidermist mount him WITH the horse face. He simply has the old billy goat look. Keep the glands! They are cool and show his grand nature.
I have mixed emotions about the horn tip. For almost every other animal I'd mount them the way they came but for a goat I'd lean toward a little repair job.
Congrats on an excellent billy. He's a true trophy!
Zeke

That old bugger DOES have the biggest glands I have ever seen on a goat!

------------------
DRSS

>My opinion.......get rid of those nasty
>looking scent glands. I
>would repair the horn but
>I know a lot would
>leave it. A good
>taxidermist should be able to
>replicate the mold to the
>actual look of the goat.
> He has a great
>head on him and I
>would want it to look
>that way.
I agree with Marley.

i would fix the horn, any deer or elk leave as is but a billy fix it for sure. I think I would also get rid of the glands, you dont want every person coming in your home who doesnt know much asking about the big spots?
Face leave as is

My 2 cents are fix the horn, keep the billy looking like the old timer he is, but leave the glands. First, they are an interesting part of the animal, and secondly, that's what mother nature gave you. I don't think the glands detract at all. I think it adds "character" to a really nice Billy. Its not something commonly seen.

Bottom line, regardless of all of our opinions, yours is the only one that matters.

Good luck and make sure you post pictures of the final mount.

Garion33

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom