Need some Help guys.

Cass

Very Active Member
Well, Heres the dilema. My dad is going on a caribou hunt with a bunch of guys from work next year, One guy that was supposed to be going is Mike. Mike is currently paralyzed from his belly button down and has no control over his bodily functions as to waste disposal. He is pretty much on a schedule and knows w/i an hour of when he will be going to the loo. Now here the problem. The outfitter that is doing this Caribou hunt can not compensate with all the needs mike actually needs. He really wants to do a lodge hunt and would like to use his bow. Seeing as he can't walk I hope you guys know what i'm talking about. Ever since his accident last year at dumont he has really wanted to hunt but knows he's limited. What I want to do for him, is buy him a Really nice hunt at a lodge of somesort to kinda boost his emotions because he's really down. For Caribou, Mule deer, Elk, Somthing along those lines. If you guys could possibly help me out here with some lodges / guide services you guys know of out west I'd really appreciate it.

-Cass

If I were you, I would concentrate my search on private land hunts. That way, he could be taken to and from the hunting area in a vehicle. It would proably be fairly easy to book something for a whitetail or exotic hunt in Texas. No, I am not talking about a high fenced hunt. However, there are so many whitetail and exotics on private, low fenced ranches, that I bet you could find something to meet his needs. Good luck.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Find a carabou hunt that uses ground blinds on river crossings as an option. He sounds like he has trained his bowels well enough that waste managment will not be a problem. You did not mention if he will have help with his needs ( transfers from bed to chair, chair to toilet ( do's he use depends?), electric or manual wheel chair?
Find an outfitter that specializes in bowhunters.What he needs is someone that will hunt with him and help out when he needs it, a non-hunting companion. most places only charge about $100 a day for non hunting companion.

Lots of places in the lower 48 use ground blinds for antelope & deer ( waterhole hunts in Wyoming and colorado) like mentioned before texas has some nice hunts, float trips on rivers in alaska and the Yukon for Moose.

Nate

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-05 AT 02:08PM (MST)[p]Write Buckmasters (Jackie Bushman)and see if they can include him on a caribou hunt for the disabled. I know he is very active with the disabled. It certainly can't hurt to try..

We have a program here (NE WY) that provides antelope bowhunts for physically challenged folks - I've helped a bit the last few years. It's not a lodge hunt (hunters stay in motels) but it's a neat deal - last year Gillete hosted 25 P.C. hunters (23 were successful). I think I have those numbers right... Blinds are set up beforehand, each hunter has a volunteer guide. He won't be in "the sticks" (more like in the sagebrush), but folks that have come out have really loved the experience. The whole group gets together each evening and morning to share stories and meals. I think it's pretty cool.

Anyway, if you want more info on this program, let me know. I can put you in touch with the right folks. There's a similar type of thing that goes on in NW Wyo on a smaller scale (for elk, I think) - I know a guy that's involved with this, just don't have too many details. Let me know if you want more, and I'll bird-dog those details down.

Another good place to look is Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America website: http://www.pcba-inc.org/
I haven't checked out the website much but I know that the Gillete hunt is in association with this organization.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom