Need some help with unit 141

BearCat

I drew one of the few 141 deer tags. I have hunted most of my life in 141 for elk, deer and brookies (can not leave them out). I have been up scouting once this year and it cost $400 in gas alone -- not sure how many more of those I can do. Probably will only get back up one more time before the hunt. I sure could use some help finding a great buck. I do not have much to offer, but I do know some great elk locations. I would hope that someone scouting for elk or moose might be able to help out a felow hunter.

I know that they will probably not be in the high country by Oct 15, so I would like ANY information concerning private land, roads, big buck sightings in the high country (as it may be a dry year) etc.

Who knows maybe some great new friendships will come of the whole things. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! You can send me a PM or contact me at [email protected].
Thanks in advance!!
BearCat

SageB that is just how it is sometime I guess. There are those that are willing to help in life and those who are not. No worries, met one new guy who has been some help and hope it is a start to a new friendship!!!

Dean

BB,

At $4.49 for diesel it still a good chunk of change. Same issue that everyone is facing. Just thought there would be more help--oh well. I will be hunting for 2 weeks so we will see how things work out. Great mountains if it was not for the beetle kill that last couple of years.

BearCat

I'd hunt unit 162 instead of 141. Most of the deer in the upper Gros Ventre will migrate through 162. If it snows, look in the aspens and sagebrush west of the Green river. If it is dry, try Tosi creek basin and near the Kinky creek divide in 162 and the ridge at the bend in the Green river in 141.
cqh1

CQH1

Yeah that is what I am hearing as well. Thank for the tip( I do plan to hit those areas) Thanks for the Tosi creek basin, I will check that out as well. Not sure where Kinky Creek is but by Dad and Grandfather do so I will ask them.

You would not know of any places over by 162 to camp with a trailer do you? I usually camp by wagon creek or gypsum creek in 141 so I do not know the 162 area. Not sure I would want to camp right in the migration path but would love to camp and not stay in a hotel (ruins the whole hunt for me). Feel free to send me a private IM or email me at [email protected].

thanks in advance!!
Dean

Congratulations on drawing a great tag, you better be sure to put your time in this year because this is the last year that areas 141 and 162 will be open during the end of october. Too many big deer are being killed in area 162 and come to find out they are all hoback and gros ventre bucks that are migrating through the area and people are shooting them. The game and fish are changing the season dates next year to October 1 to October 20 to prevent killing bucks that made it through hunting season but just happened to migrate to this area.

Yep that is what I understand as well. I am not totally convinced that it is because all the BIG bucks are being killed by us HUNTERS, but I do know the outfitters in the area are pretty upset that come Oct 15th and they have there clients up high in the mountains--there are no deer and they can not bring them down low!!!! It seems like moving them early will help mostly the outfitters.

Anyway thanks and I plan on spending two weeks up there and have scouted it briefly during the summer (1 trip). If you know the area and can offer up any more information(where to camp in 162(I know 141 pretty good) I would GREATLY appreciate it. Contact me through IM or [email protected]. Once again thanks for taking your time!!!

Dean

Once you cross the forest service boundary going towards Green river lakes, take a left after a couple miles. This will cross the river. There are plenty of places along the road to pull over and camp, even with a trailer. This road continues for
8(?) miles to the Kinky creek trailhead. The boundary near the Kinky creek divide is hard to discern; it is almost flat on the divide. The road to the divide is rough in spots and has a few areas that are really bad when wet. There are many areas to camp along the road, so you should have no problems finding a spot. If it snows, I wouldn't worry about camping in the migration path because you will probably see different deer everyday.
cqh1

Camp at Water Dog Lakes. Use the binos and spotting scope and the big bucks will be found. If early snows hit the area hunt at least 1000' lower in thick trees around the trailhead. Some of the big bucks in this area(s) are not coming from different hunting units. Most of the draw hunters are living within 40 miles so expect some competition/pressure placed on these bucks daily. Check the cover of Eastmans magazine from about 4 years ago - the 230 class buck was still on it summer range the third week of October when it was killed. Happy Trails!!!

FYI gonehuntinWY is talking about Jay Majonvich's (sp?) buck that scored 244 n/t.

Thanks for the help. I know those lakes well. Thanks for the help. I am surprised they were still up that high during that time. I hear that they bail off around the 20th or so. Either way that give me another place to check out.

Thanks again.

Dean

Any luck during your hunt? I hunted the general season in a unit near there and didn't see many bucks. But my father did kill a decent buck. When the season dates change next year, is it still going to be a draw unit or will it be changed to a general tag?

Cody

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom